What's going on with my rooster?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kwalz07, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Kwalz07

Kwalz07 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    Good morning all. I posted a few days ago worried about my poor rooster. He is 5 months old.This week I noticed he stop crowing ( which he crowed all through out the day since 14 wks). He's also just perching himself on the bottom perch in the coop alot. He does eat and drink. I received good ideas to check for any it's been very helpful as I'm brand new. Here's what I've found out:
    1. No nasal or eye drainage..cough or sneezing and breathing is relaxed and no mouth breathing.
    2. I tried checking his crop. I felt around closer to the chest first thing in AM and nothing. Only thing I felt was more in throat area which was more like cartilage feeling? Thinking it's normal?
    3. Checked his vent for lice and mites and all appears clean and saw nothing.
    4. His poop varies btwn solid and diarrhea..I do see green so I'm thinking bile?
    5. I tried separating him and bringing him inside and then he crowed a few times but refused to eat or drink. I kept him inside a few hours and as soon as I let him out he ate and drank. I have 4 young hens and all act very normal!

Could this just be worms? I don't see anything in his poop. Any other ideas? Here's his pic this morning[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There are sometimes infections that cause yellow or gray patches of material to build up inside the beak, throat, and can even go down into the digestive system. One is canker, a fungus, and the other is the wet or diphtheric form of avian or fowl pox. Look inside his beak at upper, sides, and back of the throat to see if anything is there or blocking the airway such as something he swallowed. Aspergillosis, a fungal infection from mold can sometimes affect the voice causing quiet gasping and the loss of a crow. Worming with SafeGuard would be a good thing to do any way.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here is SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer and Equine paste, both good for chickens. Dose is 1/2 ml or a pea sized glob by mouth.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Kwalz07

Jan 14, 2014
    Ok I'll take a look. Thank you. When I separated him and brought him inside he did crow a few times. So curious if his energy is low and that's what's keeping him from doing that. Aside from treating him with safeguard is there anything else I can do for my guy :(

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You could ask your vet to run a stool sample on him to check for worms, and possibly if they can do a gram stain or other tests on stool for bacteria or protozoa. I like to put vitamins and probiotics in my water 3 days a week. Also feed him some extra protein either by giving him some scrambled eggs, unsalted canned tuna, dry cat food, or game bird feed 24% or flock raiser 20% for a week or two. Don't overdo the protein, however.

6. Kwalz07

Jan 14, 2014
    Ok I was thinking of doing scrambled eggs this morning and I can ask our vet :) thanks for so much help!!

7. Kwalz07

Jan 14, 2014
    I called my local vet and they wouldn't do it but gave me name of a vet that treats livestock. I made an appt for him this afternoon. Said they will examine him..weigh him and run stool sample on him.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Great that he is going to the vet. Make sure that they don't prescribe Wazine (pyrantel) for worms because it only gets round worm. Chickens can get 5 or more different kinds of worms. SafeGuard or Valbazen are best. Let us know what the vet thinks later.

9. Kwalz07

Jan 14, 2014
    UPDATE:Tweety went to the vet this afternoon and I apparently stumped her on what's going on too lol. He weighs 4 lbs 12 oz at 5 months. She said his feathers looked great..no matting near the vent despite his stools..no lice or mites..no crop issues or eye/nose drainage..ran a stool sample and it was clean. Only thing she noticed was he had a high fever which could account for his lethargy and lack of crowing. She placed him on antibiotics for 7 days and said he should feel better in 48 hrs. What a relief! He came home drank some water a gobbled up some strawberries. 1st round of meds already given. Thanks so much to all the wonderful advice!

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It doesn't sound like they were able to do a stool culture or examine it for bacteria, just did a fecal float for worms? Well, hopefully the antibiotics will help. After you have finished them, give Tweety some probiotics for a couple of days--a small amount of yogurt or buttermilk would be a good substitute. Good luck, and give us an update in a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by