1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What's going on with production?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by polychickens, Oct 5, 2007.

1. polychickens

polychickens In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Just when I figure my egg production is about to double, I get lower numbers than ever...

My nineteen oldest hens are around 29 weeks. Sixteen more are 25 weeks...so I figured I'd have lots of eggs for the past couple of weeks, but production is down to just 12-14 per day lately.

?????

I think a couple of the 25 weekers are laying because I'm getting the small speckled eggs, so why did my oldest slow down? Thirty five hens *SHOULD* be laying by now so I wonder what's up?

Poly
    RIR's New Hamps, BR's, Bro leghorns, ameraucanas, 2 skittish buff orps, plus eleven 3 week olds

2. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Songster

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I have found that if the weather cools off a lot, and the days get shorter, they tend to not lay well. Or may even stop laying. If you put a light in your coop
    it may help.

3. polychickens

polychickens In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Thanks alley. It is actually unseasonably warm here. That's a nice way of saying that it's hotter than holy crap here. Oktoberfest and it feels like July 4th. Nonetheless, the days are shorter, so I have lighting connected to a timer in the coop. There are 4 lights but perhaps they aren't bright enough. The chickens are sitting on the roosts when I go out at night and the lights are on. I get them stirring by tossing some scratch on the floor, but I may need more lighting??

Thanks!
    Poly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: