What's going on with production?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by polychickens, Oct 5, 2007.

1. polychickens

polychickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Just when I figure my egg production is about to double, I get lower numbers than ever...

My nineteen oldest hens are around 29 weeks. Sixteen more are 25 weeks...so I figured I'd have lots of eggs for the past couple of weeks, but production is down to just 12-14 per day lately.

?????

I think a couple of the 25 weekers are laying because I'm getting the small speckled eggs, so why did my oldest slow down? Thirty five hens *SHOULD* be laying by now so I wonder what's up?

Poly
    RIR's New Hamps, BR's, Bro leghorns, ameraucanas, 2 skittish buff orps, plus eleven 3 week olds

2. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I have found that if the weather cools off a lot, and the days get shorter, they tend to not lay well. Or may even stop laying. If you put a light in your coop
    it may help.

3. polychickens

polychickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Thanks alley. It is actually unseasonably warm here. That's a nice way of saying that it's hotter than holy crap here. Oktoberfest and it feels like July 4th. Nonetheless, the days are shorter, so I have lighting connected to a timer in the coop. There are 4 lights but perhaps they aren't bright enough. The chickens are sitting on the roosts when I go out at night and the lights are on. I get them stirring by tossing some scratch on the floor, but I may need more lighting??

Thanks!
    Poly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by