Whats going on with these eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yolk-a-motive, Aug 20, 2013.

1. yolk-a-motive

yolk-a-motive Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]

We have only had these birds for 2 days and both mornings we have woken up to an egg like this. Both days they are found under the perch, so no question why its broken but wondering about the soft looking shell?

We were told the 2 older birds are about 6 months old but I suspect only 1 bird is laying as both eggs we have had look like this.

Is there a way to train them to lay in the nesting boxes?
    Is there a way to find out which of the older birds is laying the egg?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Some people (myself included) put a few golf balls in the nesting boxes. This can help them understand where the eggs should be laid. I have had 1 chicken laying for a bit of a week now and she has always laid them in the boxes. This morning we found an egg from a new chicken that was just on the coop floor. I'm hoping which ever hen laid that one will figure out the nesting boxes quickly!

As for figuring out who laid what, are breeds are they and will they lay the same color egg? All of mine are brown egg layers so besides spying on them 24/7 I think I'm destined to never know.

About the soft eggs...what feed are they eating? Is it layer feed? If not are you giving them oyster shell for calcium?

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It could very well be stress from the move.
    Also respiratory disease or vitamin D deficiency can cause it.
    Since you don't know how they were kept or fed you'll have to wait.
    Do you have any other birds?

4. yolk-a-motive

yolk-a-motive Out Of The Brooder

Thanks! The only 2 bird old enough to lay are both RIR and both we were told are about the same age and both are supposed to be laying but I suspect only 1 is as the eggs from yesterday and today look identical. We have them on grower feed, bird scratc;h, and yesterday a few slugs, worms and brocoli that we gave them, they also have access to our grass within the tractor run.

We have only had the hens for 2 days before that I suspect they were free ranging

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Give them some oyster shell in a separate container.

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    ^^Agreed. If they are on grower feed them just get a bowl of oyster shell, they will eat it and they gotta have it for egg making.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by