Whats going on with this chick?

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
One of my chicks is acting really strange.

All the others go around with the broody mum like normal, but this one chick keeps running away from them all and hiding under the coop alone.

If I take it out and put it back with the hen and other chicks it will stay with them a few minutes - then suddenly run off cheeping and go back under the coop.

It is not getting picked on by the mother hen, or other chicks and it only started doing this today. It is 4 days old now. Yesterday I noticed it was trying to join in another older group of chicks and their mum, but it could not keep up with them, so went off on its own.

At the moment the weather here is very hot, so I don't have to worry about it chilling. It seem quite happy on its own under the coop and is scratching about and eating fine.

I never had a chick do this before.

Some of my bantam chicks will do this too. I believe it is completely normal since chickens are naturally curious animals and they want to explore the "unknown". Since it is relatively hot there, I would just let it be and keep a close eye on it and make sure it doesn't get into any trouble. Keep me posted!

Some of my bantam chicks will do this too. I believe it is completely normal since chickens are naturally curious animals and they want to explore the "unknown". Since it is relatively hot there, I would just let it be and keep a close eye on it and make sure it doesn't get into any trouble. Keep me posted!
I have found out what the problem is after sitting down and watching the flock for a while.

I have 2 broody hens that have merged both their clutches together and are brining up the chicks as one big group.

The little black chick is getting attacked by the other broody (which I presume is not its mother). She really pecks it hard a few times until it runs off cheeping and hides away.

Its not a stupid little chick at all - and it has now joined up with another hen that has chicks that are about 5 weeks old. He looks so small in with them, but they all accept him, even the other mother.

I checked tonight and that 'adopted chick' is not with the new family and is getting brooded by her mew mum.

Phew.

I think she will be fine now. She only gets left behind when the bigger chicks fly up on the bushes, and she has to wait under there for them to come down (she is only 4 days old so can't fly yet).

I will get some pics tomorrow and post them of her.

Back
Top Bottom