What's going on with this girl's throat area?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bdjh, Aug 17, 2013.

1. bdjh

bdjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Winnipeg
    Hi
    I'm hoping someone can give an opinion on this.

We got this girl a couple of weeks ago, and she looked perfect at the time, but had some stubby feathers under her throat. It looked like the feathers were just coming in, or had been shaved off, or something.

a week ago, we cleaned out the coop and run, which houses 6 other hens (only one of which has started to lay), and sprinkled some DE around for the first time. We also spread some inside the coop, where this one spends all of her time, since the bigger ones are picking on her. (******* birds!)

a day or so after we did that, we noticed that she's got what looks like clumps of DE or some other fine, powdery substance clumped to her throat feathers.

I moistened the area with water, but it didn't really soften up much, and I couldn't pull them off the feathers. I suspect the feather would have come out before the clump came off.

When I squished one of the wet clumps, it just looked like powder.

If it's just DE, then I'm not worried - I just want to make sure it's not some kind of eggs or parasite, or anything like that.

Here are some photos.

Any help would be appreciated.

ps - none of the other birds seem to have anything similar.

Thanks
    Brian

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    looks like mites/lice I would sprinkle them with some sevin dust also clean the coop and nesting areas and sprinkle in all cracks and crevices

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with CherishHolland; that looks like mite or lice damage. Sevin is one thing that can work, but their are other alternatives. You can try a more natural mite-killer, like Diatamaceous Earth (diatamaceous earth CAN work, but in case of a large infestation, it doesn't). There is also a all-natural product called Poultry Protector. Poultry Protector is a liquid that can be sprayed in the coop and on the birds as often as you want. I sometimes use it, and it does work, to a certain extent.

These are just some other options. Sevin is not the only treatment for mites.

Hope I've helped!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by