What's going on???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by flossyfelix, Nov 10, 2016.

1. flossyfelix

flossyfelix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2016
    Lumberton, North Carolina
    My female Pekin was absolutely fine this morning when I let she & her hubby out of their house, however she hasn't laid an egg in 3 days now- they did their normal morning mating & on about the day. I came outside this afternoon & her chest/breast is swollen hugely! She is walking around OK & acting her normal self..other than I have noticed a "squeal" she has been doing the last couple of days instead of just her normal quaking. I have put her in warm water & massaged her..I don't feel anything..I don't think. What is going on? Egg bound? No? Help? I'm fairly new to having my lovebirds!

The picture is not great..but..

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @flossyfelix Welcome to BYC

Her chest looks similar to how my one Buff duck looks in the afternoon after she has pigged out on their feed. I don't think that would be egg bound usually when egg bound they don't act normal they lay around or are sitting in the nest box trying to lay. they may go off their feed too. If she hasn't laid in 3 days it may just be her body is resting and she'll soon start back up. They have to take rests from laying off an on. How long was she laying before she just stopped 3 days ago? and what is her age. What do you feed your ducks?

3. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016
    @misslydia

She & Felix(my male) were both molting up until about a week ago. She didn't lay during that of course, she started back about a week or so ago. She is a little over a year old- they recently just started mating as well. Felix & Flossy are both "babies"... I feed them ALL FLOCK, sometimes I give them Cat/Dog Food as a treat of sorts. However, I sent my mother to get the feed yesterday & she bought GAME DUCK FEED I did give them that last night & today being that's all I have at the time. Could she possibly be getting ready to lay multiple eggs at one time?? Like I said I'm still kind of new at the duck thing. Especially new at having a male around my female! He is a new addition.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I sure hope she isn't getting ready to lay multiple eggs at one time.. It actually takes 24 hrs for an egg to go through the process before being laid. There can be oops but they usually work themselves out when beginning to lay soft shell eggs or eggs with out shell things like that.
    I hope someone who has Pekins will see this because to me she just looks like her crop is very full. When you look at her from the front does one side look larger than the other.

Other than the squeal and she is walking around normal eating and drinking foraging I am not sure there is anything to worry about.

5. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016
    Yes. Other than the squeal she is acting completely normal. One side isn't bigger than the other...just the whole thing! Thank you for your advice, like you said since she is acting normal I'm not too worried, but I have NEVER seen her like this! & it was so 'all of a sudden' like within a couple of hours. I have put them up for the night, maybe in the morning she will be back to normal! Hopefully it is just her crop. Thank you again!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Let us know what she looks like in the morning okay?

1 person likes this.
  7. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016

So this morning it's still swollen, but it does look like it's gone down some. We had an egg this morning! & I noticed a lot more poop than usual- so maybe it is just her crop. She's acting completely normal still! Do you think I should wait the Vet out another day/night?

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Could she have eaten any thing non food wise rope, twine etc? It probably is her crop so today watch how much she eats and if you usually put food and water in with them at night don't so you can see what her chest looks like in the morning with no food over night. Then make your decision on the vet as long as she is acting okay today, but if you feel you need to go ahead and take her then by all means do that. Remember we're not vets so advise we give is usually from our experiences and I have not had this one yet but I have had a crop issue with one of my chicken hens from eating hay. Watch her poop today too how it looks.

9. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016
    @Miss Lydia

I don't think she could've eaten anything nonfood- they are both pretty good about that. I put out food from them during the day too- while they are out- I should take it up too? Huh? Because she is acting so normal I'm going to wait on the vet.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    No leave food out today just like normal but just don't feed over night so you can see if her crop is emptying. Keep us updated!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by