1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's going on???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheYoungV, Feb 26, 2017.

1. TheYoungV

TheYoungV Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2015
    Some of my Easter Eggers who normally have full beards and muffs are missing feathers on their faces... This particular one was trying to start fights with others yesterday while they were free ranging in the yard. She's not the only one missing feathers but she's the worst. Is this due to fighting or could it be mites/lice? My husband and I took close looks but neither of us saw anything crawling on them...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    That looks more like picking than parasites - and the more "unusual" feathering is often the target of this sort of thing, from crests to feathered shanks or faces. You mention they were free ranging yesterday, do they free range at a times or only as allowed by your schedule? If the later, when they are confined what size of an area are they confined to? Have you recently made changes to the flock and/or their routine? Are these the only birds you have or are there other breeds that are not showing similar feather loss?

3. TheYoungV

TheYoungV Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2015

Thank you for the input! When they're not free ranging they're in their run and we keep them in their coop at night. We recently moved and are now living right by a major road. We were worried they might get run over, so we've been allowing them to free range with supervision only. We do have some other breeds that are not muffed and bearded that aren't having this issue. So I guess it must be picking :( The feathers should grow back in, right?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    How recent was the move and how does it relate to the timing when you noticed the missing feathers? What are the dimensions of their run and how many birds, total, are you housing? Birds that have previously lived together with no issues often start this sort of thing after a stressor - such as a move, a change in routine, etc. If it is stress/boredom related picking adding some distractions to the birds' environment can often help to change the habit - treat dispensers, toys, novel items to investigate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by