Whats going on?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NCMayberry, Oct 21, 2017.

1. NCMayberry

NCMayberry In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2017
    NW, North Carolina
    First off In extremely new to Chickens and have googled and googled trying to figure out whats going on. When I bought my chicks i got 14 Hens and 4 Roosters I was able to give 3 of the roosters away and was left with 1 Rooster. All my hens were laying really good 10-12 eggs Per day. However the other day my Rooster died and the girls stopped laying. I do get the random 1 egg every other day now, however it is getting cooler here now.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What are you feeding? How old are they? Pics of your setup?

3. Fouway Farms

Fouway Farms In the Brooder

Oct 21, 2017
    Do you have any ideas what could be stressing the hens? Like is the coop too small? Not enough food/water?

4. getaclue

getaclue Crossing the Road

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Do you know what caused the rooster to die? Was it an illness, mites/lice, worms? I'm asking because we may be seeing early signs of whatever he died from. How old are your hens? Did he die in the presence of the hens? Hens do notice the loss of a flock mate, and the closer they were to him, the more they will be upset by the loss. It takes a little time, but they will get over it.

5. NCMayberry

NCMayberry In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2017
    NW, North Carolina
    When I got the chicks they was suppose to be All White Leg Horns however one of the Roosters was a Cornish Cross and he got massive. Knowing he wouldnt live long we just provided him the best life we could, he got massive so im assuming he died of heart issues. I feed them Purina Layena Pellets and they get fresh water daily and always have water left over. Out 14 hens I feed about 50lbs every 2 weeks. Wouldnt think they would of been attached to the Rooster as he would try to push them around and off the food. I have no pics on hand but coop is fairly nice they living in a 6x10 coop and have about a 20x10 run

6. getaclue

getaclue Crossing the Road

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    I suspect you're right about the cause of death. Yes, they do get attached, and the dynamics of the coop have changed. Unless you discover anything else that's off, they should resume laying in a few days.

chickens really likes this.
  7. Yes, stress in Chickens causes them to stop laying...Sorry the Rooster passed...
    Best wishes....

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How long ago did the cockerel die?
    How old are the girls?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by