What's going on?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rainbowlake mama hen, Feb 10, 2012.

1. rainbowlake mama hen

rainbowlake mama hen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    ok, several months ago, I was given 4 new hens by a friends mom who just didn't want to bother with them anymore. I had, at the time a young roo, a pullet and 2 hens. They seemed to mesh together pretty well and all were laying but after my roo came into his "manhood" two of the new girls took refuge in the coop and won't come out. My little flock are free range but these girls will only come out during the day for short periods of time and they stay close to the coop. If they see the roo, they run back in. He's not a really aggressive roo and is actually very good around people (he runs from us...no aggression whatsoever. My question is that since they have been staying in the coop, they are usually sitting in the nest and the rest of my layers have not been laying UNLESS they are laying off in the woods or somewhere. I can't find a nest but it would be like finding a needle in a haystack around here. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm wondering if I should find another place for the two who won't come out so that the others can use the coop and I realize I will probably have to keep them confined to get them back in the habit of laying in there again but that's not a problem. Whatcha' think? anyone? Thanks!

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Are the new girls young? If so they probably are not ready to put up with the rooster.

I would suggest giving them some time, I would bet everything works itself out.

3. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    I agree with the above post but I would keep the 2 that are staying in the coop a space of their own so that others can use the nesting boxes, good luck.

4. rainbowlake mama hen

rainbowlake mama hen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Thanks! no they're not young and came from a home with a rooster so I know it wasn't that but they do seem afraid of him. I'm going to separate them from the rest for now so I can see who is laying...I suspect my other girls are laying in the woods somewhere. Egg production has dropped from 5 or 6 a day (have 6 layers) to maybe one or two if that per day. thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by