1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's going on?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cravenchx, Mar 24, 2013.

1. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Ok, we have 3 nest boxes, which have worked very well......until recently. 13 hens and they have always layed in the boxes. Now I'm finding eggs every where. On the floor in the coop, mostly in the corners, some right next to the feeder. They have never done this before. I will have to say, however, my daughter just had a baby and I have been out of town for 4 straight weekends. My DH "looks" after the girls, but not like I do. Are they protesting, or is something else going on? Do we all of a sudden need more nest boxes?
    What do you the experts think?

2. cravenchx

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    I know someone has got some ideas. Please! and thank you!

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Something could have spooked them while they were in the boxes taking care of business. When I had a mouse problem, my hens all started laying on the floor.
    That being said, its more natural for hens to lay on the ground. Anyway, try putting some fake eggs or golf balls in the boxes to encourage them to lay there. If one hen decides to lay on the floor, the others are likely to follow since that place has been deemed a safe place for egg business. It also could have been an issue of the preferred box was being used and one needed to lay right then. So, in an emergency she nested on the floor and now the others are following suit. Good luck!

4. cravenchx

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    I did have golf balls, but I took them out after 1 1/2 years b/c I thought they might be in the way. There have also been broken eggs. I clean the coop every 2 weeks at least. I haven't seen in signs of mice.[​IMG]

5. Strange. Our hens laid on the floor UNDER the nestboxes--Until I blocked off that area. The next time I went in the coop, one of my gals was trying to get to the old nest to lay an egg. Frusterated, she flew up to the roost and tried to lay it there, so I set her in a nestbox. And from then on, every egg was in the nestbox.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by