whats gotten into my rooster? he keeps attacking my leg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amillecay, Feb 9, 2012.

1. amillecay

amillecay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    Today I went out to the chickens and my rooster attacked my leg and it hurt! He has never done this before. Someone thought maybe it was my shoes but I don't know the shoes i was wearing were convers so they had white and grey thats all. I then put my rubber boots on and he didn't do it again. He did this a number of times but he only got my leg twice and got my shoes a couple other times

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    How old is your rooster? Mine did the very same thing today to me, and he's always been so sweet and gentle in the past. I have read that nice roosters often turn mean overnight, when they hit 5 months old. Mine will be 5 months old on Tuesday, so this has me really worried...

3. amillecay

Dec 29, 2011
    he is like either 10 or 11 months so I don't know whats going on yesterday he was great and today he did that and it really hurt I am going to wear some different shoes tomorrow and see what happens I did pick up one of the other chickens and that was the second time he did it I truely don't know whats going on

4. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    I can say that my chickens do react to different shoes. I couldn't get within 10 feet of them when I got new rubber shoes in a different color. They kept alarm calling and watching my feet. My rooster tried to keep between me and the girls, but he wasn't getting near the shoes either. I have a pair of fleece pants that they react even stronger to and have not gotten used to. They think the pants are evil and out to eat them.

So if your rooster is reacting only when you have those shoes on, it may very well be that. Maybe leave them out where he can see them for a while so he can get used to them.

If he keeps attacking, and it's not the shoes, I'd eat him. I had a nasty silkie cockerel that just kept getting worse and worse. He made it to 6 months and I had to take care of him. He kept going for both me and my DH. Was an instant change in the flock. They weren't on edge anymore and the poor girls he'd almost scalped relaxed. My other silkie cockerel who was head honcho anyway, has always treated the girls well and never even looked at me cross. He had attacked the other boy for coming at me.

The two little 17 week old cockerels I have growing right now went through a really bad period a few weeks ago. One has fully gotten his act together and the other is catching up, I think only because the more dominate one has figured out treats and wing dances get him the girls and there is some jealousy.

5. amillecay

Dec 29, 2011
    Thanks :) thats helpful i havn't worn these shoes in a long time because it has been cold so I have just been wearing boots but they have seen these before so i'll see how hes doing tomorrow

6. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Someone suggested to me that the fur I was wearing may have bugged my boy today. She says bees get all stirred up in their hive when anyone comes near in fur. It reminds them of bears. I also suspect my bright red socks. They are the color of a rooster's comb.

7. amillecay

Dec 29, 2011
    yeah that sounds right I just don't know I mean he had seen the shoes i was wearing before but like I said I hadn't worn them in a long while so I just don't know

8. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    You weren't wearing any bright red today?

9. amillecay

Dec 29, 2011
    no no red my shoes were grey and white and I just had my jeans on

10. Cochaura

Cochaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    East Central Minnesota
    I'm glad I found this post because I was going to post a similar question. We have 11 araucana/americauna hens and 1 buff cochin rooster. They are all just over 7 months old now. The rooster was quite a gentleman until recently and has never gone after us, the dogs or the cat. This past weekend my boyfriend's daughter and I went outside to give them some cottage cheese and he went after her boots. She has tan leather booths with the fluff around the edges. I was also wearing a red jacket, which may have alarmed him but he went after HER leg. I seem to remember one of them taking a dislike to her boots a couple months ago also. He did it three times, somewhat clumsily, and no harm was done, but I'm worried he may get worse. He definitely seems more on guard and when the hens all run over to me to say hello, he races behind them to catch up as if he doesn't like that they are running over. Have you noticed any other behavioral changes in your rooster besides flying at you?
    Do yours have spurs yet? I haven't notices spurs on ours yet, although it is hard to see through all of his fluff. Does anyone know if it is common for them not to develop spurs or at what age they typically develop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by