whats happend to my leg"peep"peep" help me!

izmail1215

Hatching
10 Years
May 14, 2009
my small chick/en (4months) I THINK he sprained it he can move it wile walking but is kindda dragging/hopping i think he broke it what am i sposed to do say goodnite for the last time or what?? let it heal by its self.
it could support its body with both legs but cant walk propeurly almost falling
pls help

did you feel it and see if it is broken
also it will probably be that way
most times it doesn't get much better
sounds like she has pulled it out of the joint

Here is my friend DCTownsend's help on the matter read the one that fits you best
Orthopedics for Poultry Made Easy for Beginners
ORTHOPEDICS FOR POULTRY MADE EASY FOR BEGINNERS
By D.C. Townsend

These treatments have been tested and proven effective. I developed them for peafowl but they
may be used for any poultry. The key to success is to begin treatment promptly. In some cases delay
will kill or cripple the chick.

HOBBLE BRACE
ACHILLES TENDON OUT OF THE GROOVE
When the Achilles tendon slips out of the groove on the hock joint, a peachick will not be able to
straighten its leg. The problem needs prompt attention because the struggling peachick will put
its weight on the hock joint which will damage the skin and cause swelling in the joint. The tendon
can be pushed back in place with just one finger or a very gentle squeeze between the thumb and index
finger. Sometimes just one treatment will give a complete cure that seems like a miracle. Other
times several treatments are needed. Stubborn cases require advanced treatment that is too difficult to
explain here. I treated both legs of a peachick for two weeks; She grew up to be a healthy peahen.

CROOKED TOES
Sometimes a peachick hatches with toes rolled into a fist. They may straighten out on their own
in the first day of life. If they do not do so, I make a CHICK SHOE (see illustration below) from
black pipe cleaner available in the crafts department at Wal-Mart. I use black ones because
bright colors are more likely to be pecked by other peachicks. One packet of Westrim Crafts Chenille
stems costs 89 cents and will last for years. Any kind of half inch wide tape can be used to attach the CHICK SHOE to the toes, but I prefer Johnson and Johnson First Aid clear tape. I cut a piece a quarter inch long for the middle toe. I cut another piece the same length and split into two quarter inch-wide pieces for the other toes. Eight hours of treatment is usually enough time to end the problem on a day-old peachick.

CHICK SHOE
Not Actual Size
HALF SHOE
Not Actual Size
In the 1995 hatch, I had a number of peachicks with a kink in the outer toe of one or both feet.
They were well past a week old when I decided that I must do something about it. I made HALF SHOES of black pipe cleaner. I tore off a quarter inch-wide stripe of duck tape several inches long and secured
the HALF SHOE to the middle and the outer toe. Several days of treatment were needed. Some of the
HALF SHOES came off and had to be taped on again, but all treated peachicks had straight toes at the
end of the treatment. There is a young peacock that I missed treating. Now it is too late and he will
always have a kink in his outer toe.

STRADDLE LEGS
This problem can occur even if you take the precaution of having quarter inch hardware cloth
under your peachicks. Sometimes it is caused by the struggles of a chick with its toes rolled into
fists. In that case, both problems must be treated at the same time. I cut a piece of tape four or
five inches long and from the HOBBLE BRACE with the legs far enough apart so that the peachick can walk. The tape must go the whole way around and cover its sticky side so that it does not stick to the
peachick's fuzz when it sits down. Usually 24 hours of treatment is sufficient, but sometimes more is
required. CHICK SHOES and the HOBBLE BRACE can be used at the same time.

email me PM if you have more questions

Feel the bones of the leg and see if you can feel any difference between the two. Usually a break is obviously different. Feel al the way up into the shoulder. We have made makeshift splints using q-tips, popsicles sticks or tongue depressor size sticks with first aid tape and/or band aids to hold the sticks in place. The size stick we have used, depends upon the size of the bird. You can find sticks in the craft department of Wal-Mart. Try to positon the splint so the leg is in as natural a position as possible. If the injury has caused the toes to curl, you may need to make a band aid slipper to keep the foot in a natural position. Leave the splint on for at least two weeks. Sometimes a break also needs a makeshift sling to support the leg. Check the splint daily for shifting. The bird must be kept as still as possible. We enclosed in a crate. This is important for healing, but also because the other birds will peck at bandages. We've had two breaks that we have splinted. Both birds limp, but are able to walk and run.

Back
Top Bottom