What's happened to this lady's beak?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by texastexas, Dec 14, 2012.

1. texastexas

texastexas New Egg

Aug 21, 2012
    We're new backyard chicken-keepers. We were happily and accidentally inducted into your ranks a few months ago when we found the below-pictured young lady wandering around by a highway. All's been well. We got her a companion, built an impromptu coop and bought laying pellets from the feed store.

Anyway, I just noticed her beak like this today. She's still eating normally, and I don't see any change in behavior otherwise, but I'm still concerned, of course. So, backyardchickens, what's your diagnosis?

She looks pretty severe & scary in this pic, but she's the best!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

She just has a slight misalignment in her beak. Usually caused by a fault of the skull. If she's mature, then that's simply the way her beak is. Like people who have slightly crooked noses. You're both lucky she doesn't have a true cross beak -- more complicated. If she's young (doesn't look like she's young enough) then she'll still have some growing to do and it could get worse. But I think she's out of the woods and will just have that little quirk. As long as she can eat, drink and preen herself without any problems, she's good to go.

PS. GREAT pictures btw!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  3. texastexas

texastexas New Egg

Aug 21, 2012
    Alright, that's good news! Just some additional information: I went through some older pictures and found that her beak looked completely normal as recently as 5 weeks ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by