What's happening in Michigan? RAIDS on farmers, destruction of livestock?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by ChickChickChicky, Apr 16, 2012.

1. ChickChickChicky

ChickChickChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2011
    Greater Kansas City, MO
    I ran across these articles http://www.naturalnews.com/035372_Michigan_pigs_farm_freedom.html and http://www.naturalnews.com/035585_Michigan_farms_raids.html detailing how some new law there (presumably meant to help control feral pigs) has resulted in armed raids by the state Department of Natural Resources on farms. In at least one case the farmer was forced to shoot his entire herd to prevent his being branded a felon. I understand the need to eliminate feral pigs, because they cause alot of damage, but if people OWN and are caring for these pigs then that of neccessity means that they are not "feral". Apparently, in Michigan, pigs are deemed feral if they are of a certain coloration and meet
    "Other characteristics not currently known to the MDNR that are identified by the scientific community."​
    So, Michiganders, is this a for-real power grab by the government or just a couple of nut cases complaining. Does anyone have any solid info on this? If it is for real, it does concern me because I can see where ANY type of farmer could be put in the government crosshairs ( I KNOW that govt will hunt down and prosecute those who sell unpasteurized milk).​

2. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    It's real, but not new. Folks had over two years to regulate the hog hunting/ranch industry in MI, and it didn't happen, so what was laid out over two years ago is finally happening.

From December 2010:
    http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/12/michigan_takes_aim_at_feral_pi.html

The folks in the recently posted article were the same folks who were talking about it in 2010. Two years to regulate, it didn't happen, and unfortunately, the deadline is past, and the DNR is taking the action it promised if regulations weren't put into place. It's not without warning or unfair, it's what it is.

3. ChickChickChicky

ChickChickChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2011
    Greater Kansas City, MO
    Ok, so apparently this is targeting the "game farm" folks, who I have little respect for (I'm sorry, I just can't seem to call it "hunting" when somebody's shooting a fenced-in animal). The game farms do seem to be giant incubating pools for all manner of serious diseases, so they do need serious regulation.

I just don't want to see government intruding on regular farmers and their rights to produce and market their animals and crops as market forces demand and farmers see fit. I subscribe to the thought that my neighbor can do or believe anything he wants, as long as it does not impact my rights. Thanks for shedding some light on this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by