Whats happening to his neck?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nfrost, Dec 21, 2011.

1. nfrost

nfrost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    [​IMG]

Its getting a little worse im just worried taht he will get cold when it gets real cold here soon!

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Can't really see. Is it the bald spot behind his ear?
    Does he live with other roosters, that may be fighting with?

3. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    This is totally a hunch, but... check him for mites?

The reason that I say that is that the only time I've remotely seen anything like that was in my cats, and it was self-inflicted--scratched all the fur off. Right behind the ear is one of the few places that chicken can reach to scratch at with their feet, and I've seen mine accidentally claw themselves before. If he's itchy, he may have scratched his feathers out.

4. nfrost

nfrost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    mites in the winter time? and it was kinda bloody the other day so i saw a SLW hen piccking at it and when i cam back the next day it was a bit worse, so would hens pluck all those!

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    First, see if you can see any crawly things around the base of his feathers.

If he doesn't have parasites, then assume that it's just an irritation that's being aggravated by the other chickens noticing the red, bare skin. You can treat it with Blu-kote. It will help heal it while coloring the bald spot a purple color, which is neutral to chickens, so they won't be attracted to it, pecking at it, keeping it raw.

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    From what I've seen here, sometimes hens will do that for some reason. And the silly roo will just stand there and let them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by