What's happening to my Buff Orpington?

lazykchikinranc

Hatching
Mar 27, 2015

I thought at first she was being pecked. then I decided she had mites so I treated her with seven dust. But she still looks like this. So I thought she was grooming excessively because she had an itch. I just don't know and now another chicken is beginning to look this way. Is it pecking? Should I remove her from the group? thank you for any advice you folks can give me. PK

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Do you have a rooster? It could be rooster damage. You might try putting a hen saddle on the affected hens (if it is rooster damage that often works, and it does seem to help with feather plucking also). Other wise that looks like feather plucking as you said, which often is from boredom or bullying... there is a nice article in the Learning Center with various ways to help with it https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bullying-behavior-in-chickens People often recommend upping the protein in their diet also. You might also consider putting pinless peepers on the ones who are doing it if you can figure out who they are (or the whole flock). You don't really need to separate the plucked birds if you can get it under control... if a bird is bleeding/ hurt they do need to be separated.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Kelsie2290s first thought regarding a rooster was also my first thought and she has given you some good advice. This type of injury is also common where there are too many roosters. The recommend ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens as too many roosters can become very hard physically on your hens, over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. If other hens are doing this to her, I would recommend putting some Blue Kote Wound Dressing on her back. Not only will this protect the wounded area and help it to heal, but the bad taste of the Blue Kote will discourage other hens from continuing to peck on the area. If you're not familiar with Blue Kote, you can see it at https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/blue_kote_wound_dressing.html. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your wounded hen.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

Kelsie2290 and Michael O Shay have given you some good advice! Good luck with your hens.

Back
Top Bottom