Whats Happening to my Chicks??????? HELP

I'm a big fan of the cardboard-box brooder with layered newspaper and straw, shavings or grass clippings spread on top, and a clip-on desk lamp for heat. Decent insulation, no drafts, you can cover or uncover the top with a towel or a blanket as needed for ventilation or warmth, and when you're done there's nothing to clean out--just throw away or compost the box. Costs nothing (if you have a lamp), and super easy...

I have found a little dewormer helps--- that the chicks who get Pasty Butt Aren't ones that I have the Parents . I deworm my breeders every 4 months
I mix a 1/4 tsp in the Quart waterer and they seem to do ok --- Can't recall who taught me this to give credit-- You can also take baby powder and rub the butt after you clean and poop doesn't stick for a few days helping them expell better - Just things that worked for me

Last edited:
Sounds like you're de-pasting the vent really well so it shouldn't be that. Don't raise the light unless they're spread out away from the heat. If their location is too warm, they can dehydrate really easily - frighteningly easily and frighteningly fast. If they've been fine and suddenly you see them standing there not moving when they should be or stumbling around, dip their beaks in water and make sure to get them drinking - and of course raise the light.
Good luck -

Back
Top Bottom