What's happening with my rooster?

gregory991

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2016
Yesterday he was very well, when today he stay just in one place close and opens his eyes, if i go to him he walks some and sits again and close his eyes, is this a sign of a disease or a poisoning, can it be a poisoning because we have a neighbour that was killing and poisoning our chickens with years!

Last edited:
check his mouth, eyes and ears if there is any discharge. if you suspect poisoning syringe him as much water as you can. charcoal might help if you have some.

is it possible to bring him to a vet or at least call one?

Yesterday he was very well, when today he stay just in one place close and opens his eyes, if i go to him he walks some and sits again and close his eyes, is this a sign of a disease or a poisoning, can it be a poisoning because we have a neighbour that was killing and poisoning our chickens with years!
@chickengr is right. Can you take him to a vet?

If you suspect someone has poisoned him, then he needs vet care. This will also document and possibly confirm poisoning if you need to follow up with law enforcement.

It's hard to know if it's poisoning or illness. If you absolutely can't get a vet, then you can try a flush to see if he improves.

Keep us posted.

Here's some flushes - note they are generally not used for poisoning - note that these are used when a bird is suspected of having Botulism (ingesting rotten/decaying animal and plant matter) so they may not be effective against a poison:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal
http://extension.msstate.edu/content/solutions-and-treatments

I call the vet and he gives some medicaments and after giving them he seems to be better, he said that was poisoned, but he is better now.
I'm glad you were able to get meds from your vet. So, it did look like someone poisoned him?

If that is the case, then I would recommend that you at least report the incident so it's documented. Things like this can get out of hand quickly between neighbors, so having some mediation and coming to some type of an agreement, airing out grievances with a third party or opening the lines of communication can be beneficial to all parties involved.

I hope your rooster continues to recover.

Back
Top Bottom