What's happening?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fcarter, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Fcarter

Fcarter New Egg

Apr 11, 2017
    Last night we had to put a hen down due to some sort of horrible issue. I found her not eating, drinking a lot of water ( when she could stand) and her backside bleeding and matted. There was a horrendous smell about her. Today my husband came home to find our Silkie rooster dead and in the same condition. Until yesterday we have had hardy, healthy birds. Any idea of what this is and how to stop it?
    Thanks,
    Faye

2. Talithahorse

Talithahorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Hartselle, Al
    Could be wrong but do you have a predator issue? Matted, bleeding backside....

3. Fcarter

Fcarter New Egg

Apr 11, 2017
    I have checked the fencing and houses and found no sign of entry. They are all closed in their houses at night and we have not heard any unusual noises (they are next to our house). Preditor was my first though as well. They are in their houses that are inside of a chain fence with a top. We lost a hen 3 weeks ago to EYP but that wouldn't explain the rooster.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Were their backends and vents pecked? I would save the body, and refrigerate it in plastic, but don't freeze it. Send it in to the state vet for a necropsy to find a cause of death. Vent pecking can lead to cannibalism in chickens, and may be a problem if they are overcrowded, bored from not getting outside to roam during the day, or eating too little protein in the diet. Aim for 16-20% protein in a balanced chicken feed. There also could be a predator taht is attacking them, and you were smelling an infected wound. Hawks, dogs, raccoons, oppossums, coyotes, cats, and rats are all known to attack chickens. Here is a bit on cannibalism and a list for state vets:
    https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/content/dam/pubs_ext_vt_edu/2902/2902-1095/2902-1095_pdf.pdf
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  5. Fcarter

Fcarter New Egg

Apr 11, 2017
    Thanks for the info. We have 3 pens with breeds separated. Betty was fine yesterday morning, no sign of disease and no smell. Later in the afternoon is when I noticed the smell and traced it to her. She was in a pen with only Martha who is a very sweet girl and has never been agressive. They have been together for 5 years. The backside didn't look like it had been pecked at on either bird. Mostly blood like a hemorrhage. I monitor their diets and supplement as needed. I am baffled as to this and how soon it hit. The 2 birds that died do not interact, their pens don't join and food/water sources aren't shared. I can't make sense of any of this.
    Thanks
    Faye

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think that may take a bit of detective work to find the cause. I would still consider a necropsy, since they can check for coccidiosis, enteritis, worms, and anything else that could cause blood from the vent. If you have a predator camera that you could set up in the coop for night and daytime, it could tell you if something is getting in their at night. If you don't get the necropsy, it may be good to take in a few droppings to check for cocci and worms. The odor thing is interesting. Mink are supposed to smell bad. They would probably decapitate a chicken as a weasel would. Rats could go from one doop to another easily. Infected wounds would definitely have an odor. Please let us know if you think of anything else.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  7. Fcarter

Fcarter New Egg

Apr 11, 2017
    Everybody was accounted for this am. Fingers crossed. I spoke with my vet and he was baffled. He thought it sounded bacterial and suggested a necropsy. I spoke with the lab and the 2 that died are too compromised. If there is another one today, I will get it to them tomorrow. From the sounds of it we may lose all of our birds but I really hope not. Thanks again.
    Faye

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is it possible that they could have gotten in to some rat poison? That could cause hemorrhage and dehydration, and eventually death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by