What's in my eggs ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Strummer, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Strummer

Strummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Edna tx
    Looks like little specs in the whites . Size range from sand to flea size . Can also squeeze them like a pimple and they rupture ?

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Do you worm your birds regularly? Is there any way you could post a picture for us to look at?

3. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
  4. Strummer

Strummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Edna tx
    I have never wormed them . How do I go about doing that ?

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You can worm them with a few things. Wazine will take care of round worms only, but round worms tend to be the most common worm. You can get this at most feed stores. 1 ounce to one gallon of water for one full day. Repeat in 12 days. If you suspect other types of worms, you can use Safeguard horse paste wormer. You can get this at feed stores as well. A pea sized dolup on one tiny piece of bread. Then repeat in 12 days. Either one of these will help to worm your birds. If you are getting worms in your eggs, the worms are crawling up from the intestinal tract and heading down the oviduct and getting into the eggs before the shell is put on.

6. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    You need to get on a worming schedule, if the worms and worm eggs are making it into the eggs, you have a serious infestation in your hens.

7. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I thought worms ending up in eggs was very rare. The OP has not even ascertained what the things are in the egg. I have never wormed my chickens & don't understand why every question asked turns into the need to worm the chickens. I understand it is sometimes necessary, but not every problem a chicken has goes back to having worms.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I agree, the description does not sound like worms. Most likely blood or meat spots, especially if they can be ruptured when you put pressure on them. any parasitic worm I've ever seen is pretty rough, and would not rupture easily.

9. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    Worms are in the intestinal tract. The egg gets its shell before it's close enough for that. Worms would not receive nutrition if they lived inside the oviduct.

OP, if you can please post a picture. I suspect meat spots but it's difficult to tell without seeing a picture.

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Sorry, but I've found a full sized round worm in an egg before. Thankfully not in this flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by