whats in the eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by molly, Feb 16, 2009.

1. molly

molly Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    When I cracked open my golden comets eggs It looked like something was on the egg It was brown specks of something.It does not look like blood specks. Could this be from the feed they are eating?

2. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Perhaps they were meat specks?

3. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    Was it on the out side or inside? and are they young chicks? if so it could be blood spots i have several eggs that way take a wet rag and gently rub it shell you should be able to tell in just a short time if it wipes off or not. Some eggs do have brown spots on the shell i cant remeber about the golden comets have not had thelm in several years.

4. molly

molly Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    I dont mean to sound dumb but,what are meat specks?Ive never heard of that. I am new at raising chickens. the specks were on the yellow of the egg and a little in the white

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sounds like meat spots from your description. As with blood spots, they occur during the formation of the egg. Not harmful in any way. If the look of them bothers you, just flick them out with a spoon.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts, meat spots. I just eat them when I cook my eggs.

7. A.J.'s

A.J.'s Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Tennessee
    Ive found them in eggs from young pullets.. i took one off the yolk with my fingernail and smashed it and it appeared to be a blood clot. I just turn my eyes away and fry or scramble them.. no problem when you kinda get used to it.
    In my younger more stupid days i would have thrown it out. not now.. probably has a speck of protein in it.. or something good. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by