What's in the mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tallyho, Sep 29, 2010.

1. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    OK, I know it's waaaay too early to even start wondering but these are my new babies hatched by my Australorp. The eggs came from a u-pick/pumpkin patch/corn maze farm. I don't remember most of the breeds they had running around there but I know there was a turken, cochins, a few silkies, and a GL wyandotte. Both babies have clean and yellow legs. The chipmunk one looks like it could be part Welsummer? The gold baby has a little line on the top of it's head and a tinge of red in the fluff on it's back. Any ideas? We might go out this weekend again and I'll pay more attention to what they have there.

That is a 'V' on top of the head
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. Loddie Da

Loddie Da Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    I think you should re-post when they are older...plus it's even harder to tell with mixes what they are so I think that's your best bet.

Also:
    What color eggs did they hatch from?
    How many toes do they have?
    Any leg feathers?
    How many Chickens did you see on the farm...How many were roosters, & What breed were they? (it can narrow down the list of daddies)

Next time you post pics can you make sure that the chipmunks feet are in the pic as well.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The solid yellow and orange one looks so far like either a Production Red, Sex Link, or Buff Orpington cross.

The striped one can be anything duckwing, partridge, or BBR colored. Looks to me like a BBR colored bird though.

4. tallyho

Aug 24, 2010
    Thank you.

I am taking the kids out to the u-pick farm this weekend and I'll try to be a little more observant, esp regarding the roos!

To answer the questions:

1) med/dark brown speckled eggs
    2) 4 toes
    3) no feather legs
    4) lotsa chickens but don't remember

Oh and they are very calm and curious. Moreso than any chick I have ever been around. (But that might be developmental, like stranger anxiety in human babies which appears at 6 mos or so.)

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Welsummer.

6. Loddie Da

Loddie Da Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    Hmmm, If the egg was a fairly dark brown with speckles Welsummer is a good bet, Welsummer eggs have a habit of having dark speckles on a dark brown egg, the darker the brown/terracotta in Welsummers the better.

There is no way to tell for sure, but I also think there may be some Buff Orpington or "something-red" in your lighter chick.

If your chipmunk chick is a Welsummer there is a good chance it is a female, though I in no way am saying it's a given.

Females tend to have a darker "V" shape on their heads & have eye liner...Males may still have a "V" shape on there heads but it's not as defined, is lighter & the eye liner tends not to be there at all & if it is it is much lighter in color & broken in pattern.

But as s/he is a mixed breed it s/he may not follow the given pattern for the breed/standard color.

The pix below are of Dorkings but it will help with a visual of what I am talking about in the color...

Female Dorking chick: Male Dorking chick:
    [​IMG]

I hope this helps.

Please re-post when they are older if you'd like some more confirmation.

7. Kenshan1

Kenshan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Even to confuse you even more. The chipmunk could also be EE. My 2 EE's were very much chipmunk colored, they have green legs though.

Shannon

[​IMG]

8. tallyho

Aug 24, 2010
    I did not know about the Wellie sexing, thank you. It sure looks a lot like a Wellie chick with a few little differences.

Both have very yellow legs but that doesn't mean anything when it comes to EE. I have 2 old ladies who do not have green legs but do lay blue green eggs. They both came from standard size eggs and they're good size chicks.

If I have a flash of insight when I go back out there I'll report back. This is kind of fun...a long drawn out mystery.

Thanks for the insight.

9. tallyho

Aug 24, 2010
    OK, No wellies in sight. I am not an expert but I think I saw black sex links, New Hamp. (or something solid red), BO, Cochins (buff and silver penciled), Turken, australorp, barred rock and EE(saw the eggs) hens.

And these handsome dudes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What breeds are these? I'm not good with rooster ID.

10. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    #1 EE, #2 Black Sex Link, #3 LF Black Cochin, #4 Red Sex Link

These are my guesses, hope this helps, most of your chicks are probably from the EE and the Red Sex Link

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by