What's in your Chicken First-Aid Kit?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dazed81, Jul 21, 2011.

1. dazed81

dazed81 New Egg

Jun 25, 2011
    One of the books that I have read suggests getting together a first-aid kit for chickens. I am a planner, and of course most of the things I would need in an emergency are not sold locally and would have to be ordered online... not really effective in an emergency.

What would YOU purchase/suggest to have on hand in an emergency? Is there a thread for this already that I am missing?

Also, looking for sources to purchase these items (hopefully all in one place) without breaking the bank that I don't have. [​IMG] thanks!

Photos of items are a BONUS [​IMG]

I considered having my local TSC Order what I need, but most of the things aren't even in their Blue Book. I also have a small flock (8) so I don't want to break the bank ordering stuff that will treat hundreds if I can prevent it.

Also saw people posting about giving chickens probiotics and yogurt, so please include items that are not "for chickens" if they work just the same [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is always good to have a basic antibiotic on hand such as Agrimycin or Teramycin (sp) for any respiratory infections. You can get this at any feed store and it is not expensive. Having an egg bound hen can and does happen, so having some tight surgical gloves and KY jelly on hand for getting those stuck eggs out. Water soluble vitamins are always good to have on hand also to pump up the immune systems along with apple cider vinegar which also goes in the water for over all good health of chickens. Probiotics, such as the product "Probios" which can be gotten on Amazon is for all pets, including chickens and is great for the intestinal tract and can keep it quite healthy. Some easy wormers to keep on hand is Wazine or Safeguard. The Safeguard can be gotten at many pet supply places. The Wazine can be ordered at Amazon also. (I am in the middle of no where so I get many things on Amazon [​IMG] ) A medicine dropper and syringe is good to keep for giving meds. Ginger and cinnamon powder, a pinch of each in water, can be used for slow or soured crops. Even a half of an Alka-selzer tab in water can be administered to bring the level of acid down in the crop. Some "blu-coat" or "Hot Pic" for those injuries that you want the other birds to stop picking at. You can get these at any feed store.

I have probably forgotten a few things I keep in my med's box for the chickens. But this is some basic stuff you can keep. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh, and I forgot to add Sevin powder for those pesky bugs along with permithryn spray. Oh, and mineral oil for those annoying scaley leg mites. [​IMG]

4. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Mine gets bigger every time somthing happens.
    The only reason I have this stuff, is because its the things I have needed for the past 3 years

right at the moment I have

gloves
    KY
    Calcium drench
    Ivermectin pour on
    Tylan 50
    Baytril tablets
    PovidoneIodine
    Hydrogen peroxide
    lots of tapes and bandages
    Baytril liquid
    Piperrazine 17

5. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Ooh, there is some good stuff on here. Looks like I need to add a few things! Here's ours:

Vaseline (leg mites)
    Iodine
    Sutures (we performed a crop obstruction surgery early on)
    Alcohol
    Corid
    Insulin Syringe
    Safeguard
    Ivomec
    Sevin
    Permethrin
    Tweezers
    Valbazen
    Rooster booster
    tetracyline
    baby food
    liquid bandage
    super glue (can act as easy sutures)
    styptic pen
    sharp all metal scissors (can be sterilized)

Jeffers has good prices and frequent sales/shipping deals

6. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    ErinG, whats Rooster booster?

7. dazed81

dazed81 New Egg

Jun 25, 2011
    Rooster Booster is at jeffer's Website, which I like because you can read all about the product as well as actually see the label, which is awesome [​IMG] Thanks for the info... now I begin researching!

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I have a small kit with some injectable med's in the fridge and a larger kit in the large coop with an assortment of all the most needed things, most of which has already been mentioned. The number 1 most important item in my kit and should be in yours is COMMON SENSE !!!!!! and not to panic and freak out over every little thing and blow it out of proportion. Keeping a level head and pursuing a reasonable course of action saves more birds and that's a fact.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by