What's in YOUR run: sand, dirt, pine nuggets, etc?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by banananutmuffin, Apr 20, 2011.

1. banananutmuffin

banananutmuffin Out Of The Brooder

I was completely sold on the idea of sand until I used it in my brooder. It kicks up a ton of dust. We *sometimes* can get a drought here in the mid-Atlantic, and I'm not thrilled with the idea of all that dust stirred up all the time.

What else do people use in their runs? Mine will be about 70 sq ft with 3-4 standard birds. I'd love something easy to maintain that keeps down pests and odor. Any suggestions?

2. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I have no magic material in my run floor, only good old fashioned dirt. I rake it as needed. Low tech and works for me.

3. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Mine have sand and I rake it every week. Their run is also covered so it stays dry and pretty much "smell free"

4. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    pine shavings

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Dirt and dried leaves that I collect in the fall and add as needed. The girls quickly trample the leaves creating instant compost. I haven't raked it out since last fall and there is no smell...and the run has a roof on it.

(edited for typo)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  6. ams4776

ams4776 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ive been using hay in mine. They can scratch it up and enjoy laying around in it. And it helps soak up mud when it rains

7. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Dirt & pine shavings. [​IMG]

8. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine always start as grass, turns to dirt, [​IMG] and then I get a load of sand and put it around 6 inches thick. My run is covered so it doesn't get muddy and I use a kitty litter scoop to grab up the messes every few days. Works great [​IMG]

9. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

I use pine nuggets, but they kick it around alot....

10. Gloria's Gang

Gloria's Gang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Atkinson, NH
    I have a large run that was all dirt. When it rains half of it would get muddy ( it is covered with wire mesh ). I added about a ton of sand ( that was a lot of work! ),but alas, NO MUD, ever!! It doesn't get dusty either. I rake the whole run, dirt and sand, about once a month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by