whats killing my chickens?

RaCoulson

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 12, 2009
I am heartbroken this morning because something killed our beloved rooster tiny. He put up quite a fight and there are feathers and blood everywhere.
Over the last month we have been visited at night or early am by a predator. We have lost three birds so far. A good sized hen a small hen and now Tiny. We put a light outside the coop that we turn on at night to hopefully discourage whatever pest it is. Tiny was mostly eaten and looked like most of the meat was stripped off him even his head was stripped. The head is still there and attached. The predator left him by the tree/fence that the predator used to get into the lot. This morning we found hairs in the fence. Wiry hair that is reddish. We found where the beast is getting in and have reinforced so our remaining hens are safe albeit sad about losing their "man" We live in a wooded area and suspect a fox because the other two birds were completely removed. Any ideas from anyone else??

I hear cyotes all the time so I am sure they come around. My guess is fox but I just am not sure. This weekend we are going to electrify the perimeter fence, hopefully that will help

Quote:
So sad. Poor Tiny.
sad.png
And the hens. Unfortunately, there's no question that a pred will come back after that first successful hunt. And then after the next one etc. Sadly, a light is not a serious deterrent. Unless you now have a fortress I'm afraid you will lose more. I would not let another night go by till you're sure the remaining birds are safe or you will have another sad day tomorrow or the next. I'm so sorry for your birds. It does sound like Tiny tried really hard to prevail
hit.gif

JJ

Back
Top Bottom