Whats killing our chickens and ducks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chicks2, Feb 10, 2012.

1. chicks2

chicks2 New Egg

Feb 10, 2012
    Hi Everyone.

I live on a very rural farm (in England) and used to have 14 chickens and ducks, we've always had foxes around but have only visited the chickens once in the three years we've had them - stupidly I forgot to lock the henhouse one night and saw the fox and chased it away.

Anyhow that was over a year ago and the fox never came back - until maybe recently....

Something has been coming into the garden - day or night - and taking one chicken or duck at a time, and leaving the rest.... I presume this is a fox but I heard that 90% of the time they will kill more than one.

Also, on three occassions its got hold of our saxony duck - which is quite large and makes quite a lot of noise - obviously heard us shouting - and let it go which makes me think that maybe its smaller than a fox - badger or mink maybe???

It came back today at about 4pm and took another duck - scared the others completely - they haven't laid for several weeks although I realise they tend to slow down in the winter anyway.

We've got a fox trap now (past two nights) - been putting in cat food and frozen chicken - but no luck - although some of the cat food has moved around!!

We've now only got three chickens and two ducks!! All the others have gone in a 2 month period. The last two ducks are the ones I got at day old so i really don't want them to go!!

HELP!!! Any suggestions on what it could be and how to get rid of it would be great.

Thank you!!

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Actually, it does seem more like a fox to take one at a time. Dogs will kill several, just for the sake of killing. You may want to build a secure run for your remaining birds if you want to keep them. I have a coop and run for my chickens. My chickens free range most of the time, but on occasion they are locked up. They do just fine. Keep your trap set and your birds in a covered run till you catch whatever is getting them.

3. Kickin' Chickin'

Kickin' Chickin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Upstate New York
    If it is a fox he will keep coming back until they are all gone. Do you have access to the type of trap that allows for a live chicken to be placed in one end as bait. I have heard that they work better than others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by