What's killing our chickens?

nessa1579

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 19, 2013
Can somebody help? We've had multiple chickens come up dead, feathers all around and everything. Just last night 10 were killed, none of them were torn up though, although 2 of them were missing their legs. We do have 3 guineas as well but nothing has ever bothered them. We've seen them viciously attack out chickens but dot think it could be them killing 10 in one night. These are adult chickens too, 9 hens and 1 rooster.

I would first off eliminate the point of entry for the predator. You can put sand around the coop so you can see any prints in the morning to get a better idea what your dealing with. Were any birds missing? If there were no birds missing it sounds like a dog to me, they will kill your birds and not eat them though the birds may be missing a leg or two.

These are actually free range chickens, our cooped ones are never bothered. I meant to mention that :) We have dogs, but we locked out up to see if it were ours, but the one night we did there were multiple missing rather than one. Our dogs have even taught not to attack them but to defend them. It seems that the kill lasted awhile though since we will find some feathers in one spot then another and then the final pile where the chicken is found, but they are never torn up. Only a few (about 3 or 4) have been missing a leg or both.

Had a weasel problem recently, it killed 6 quail in one night, chewed off their heads but only tore up one of them..

Back
Top Bottom