What's making my EE cough like this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Floc Quebecois, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Floc Quebecois

Floc Quebecois Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Here's a video of our Easter Egger coughing...

She's been doing this for 3 weeks now.

She had an impacted crop that we treated with massages and olive oil and seems to have gone away... but the cough remains.

Other than that, no symptoms... clear eyes, no discharge, regular energy level, no worms or mucus or anything in her throat.

Any ideas what she might have?

thanks in advance for your help!

2. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I have a few that do that same thing also. They've been doing it for several months now, but other than the occasional cough/squawk, they eat, drink, run, cluck, and everything just fine and they look completely healthy. I have never had any problems with an impacted crop either so that can't be what is causing my birds to do this. [​IMG] Usually, when one of them does this noise unexpectedly, it sends the rest of them running for cover. lol I just thought it was a sneeze or something from getting dust up their nose so I never gave it much thought. Oh, and I should add that all six of my birds are EEs also.

3. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    No one has any other thoughts on this??

4. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    did the cough start around the same time she was impacted? sometimes when you massage the oil in the crop, stuff from the crop can get in the lungs. not a good sign. when stuff gets in the lungs it can cause aspiration pneumonia. I don't think there is really anything you can do about it other than keep an eye on her.

5. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Quote:It actually started at the same time but before we started the massages. Didn't get worse since though. But i wonder: can food gets into the trachea because the crop is too full?

6. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Quote:It actually started at the same time but before we started the massages. Didn't get worse since though. But i wonder: can food gets into the trachea because the crop is too full?

Forgot to say: we did stop the massages as we do not want food to get in the wrong pipe! So we feel her crop but that's about it. Also, i tried to see if i could feel something in her neck with a lot of coughs and a bit of rattle when breathing... But it passed after a few coughs and she's not making any noises when she breaths now. So i wonder: maybe she has somethingstucked in there and she coughs because she's trying to get it out? I would try to swab her throat to see if she has gapeworms but i'm scared i might just push things down her windpipe if it's an object in there...

7. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    it probably wouldn't hurt to put her on an anti-biotic just in case it's not something related tot he impacted crop. I would use Tylan 50, 1/2 cc injection in the breast muscle for 3 days

8. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Quote:I knew when we got our first chickens back in june that should get ready for sickness... We live in Canada... Here, all meds have to be given by vets, and vets need to see the animal to prescribe the meds... Ahhh... I'll try to find a way to get it from the us i guess... [​IMG]

9. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    wow that stinks, I didn't know you couldn't just go buy it there. I would think since it's for cattle and pigs and those are not usually taken to the vet. I guess you never know, doesn't seem to make sense not to allow people to treat their own animals with paying to go see the vet

10. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Quote:Yep! You should have seen the pharmacist's face when i asked her about a suturing kit (which can't be bought at drugstores apparently) and then for polyvisol! [​IMG]

As soon as i get my passport renewed, i drive down to vermont and buy everything we could need for a while! Even sevin dust (or any kind of wormer for that matter) can't be bought without prescriptions! Ridiculous!

So actually, if you guys want to help me out with a list of what i should get, that would be helpfull! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by