1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what's more important air or probe temp?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jnjross, May 18, 2008.

1. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    i took eggs out of turner. added water. i had to do some fiddling to get the temp back up, now the air temp is 99.5 but probe temp is 102.6??

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What kind of bator are you using?

Having opened the bator and taken the eggs out of the turner, it would take an hour or so for the temps to level off and come back up to normal operating temp. Air temp changes much faster than liquid temps. If the probe is that hot the inside of the eggs is that hot. You may have adjusted a temp that did not need adjusting andnow the inside of your eggs are too warm. It is a good rule to never readjust the thermostat until it has had plenty of time to resettle after the bator was open.

3. jnjross

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    i took them out at 10 last night, woke to 98.2 air 99.5 wiggler this morning
    it an lg

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What are you using to measure temps? Where in the bator are you taking your temp reading? What is the temp at the top of the eggs?

In a still air LG your temperatures at the top of the eggs should be 101 - 102 and getting lower toward the bottom of the incubator.

5. jnjross

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    acurite i tryed to put the wiggler on top but it made to eggs roll so i cut two cups from a carton and put it on that. the unit is on the opposite side under the window propped up, the top is even with the top of eggs.

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    All I can suggest is watch the temps for about an hour and see what they do. When you changed the thermostat setting you changed the dynamics of the environment in the bator.

The temps at the tops of the eggs should be 101 - 102 in a still air bator.

7. jnjross

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    thanks missprissy i appreciate your time [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by