whats my silkies quality???? pics****

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joe17, May 22, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Here are some pics of my silkie. He/she (?) is almost 2 months. It was hatched on March 29. What quality is he?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Much too young to tell.

3. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I love the color, and to me it looks like nice and fluffy head feathers. Are the toes straight? Can't really tell. I think it will cont. to feather out nicely.

4. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    From the type it has for its age it is a good prospect!!! But do keep us informed [​IMG]

5. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Ohh the toes are straight. Its just the position she was in. I hope it continues to feather out nicely. I have another question. Is it bad if a bird has split wings? Can I breed a split wing female to a regular winged male and get good chicks?

6. briarpatchfarms

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    I dont have my standards book in front of me but it is a defect! I dont think it is a DQ! I have bred a split wing to a non and gotten very tight winged chicks! so yes you can get goot chicks but I wouldnt breed to the 2nd gen. split winged though just in case! Sonoran might be able to tell you if it is genetic or not!

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  7. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I think it is to young to tell if it has split wing. It doesnt have all of its feathers yet. Do you have a pic of split winged birds? Do you think that this silkie would do well at a show as of now? Is the top hat any good for silkie this old? Its wings dont look tight enough to me though. What do you think?

8. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    ohh and you see how the crest starts at one length and then gets longer in the back, is that normal? It had longer crest feathers at the end of the crest than the beginning. It looks wopsided.

9. briarpatchfarms

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    As of now it does look very nice and if keeps improving at this rate you will have a winner on you hands [​IMG] Its crest looks perfectly fine, and will continue to fill in and round out as it grows and gets older! Its wings are horizontal like they should be but to check tightness you have to pull the wing out and let it go if it snaps back in place then its tight if it hangs then its loose!!! I dont personally have a picture of split wing bird and cant get one either as the hen I used died about a month ago to old age she was 6! I only got 2 chicks out of her a splashed that is a spitting image(but better wings) and an outstanding blue! The only reason I bred to her is because after showing her for 1 year she was never beat and too BB and RB several times! The only fault she had was her wings! Silkies are kind of the worst for the split wings.

10. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    I'm not sure you could enter it in a show as of right now. Birds have to be at least 4mnths old for Pullorum testing. Maybe there are shows that don't require it, but I haven't heard of any. Our state won't even accept purchased from NPIP clean source anymore for birds over 4mnths. They basically said only acceptable for meat birds, all others they want tested. I've never seen a bird at a show younger than 4 mnths other than meat birds personally.

[​IMG] May be different for your state, but I'd wait at least another couple months myself. Don't think he/she'd place well as a meat bird. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by