1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's next?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Speed, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Speed

Speed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    The Berwicks
    Ok my broody hen has been sitting on a clutch of 6 eggs. One of the eggs hatched today and the other 5 while be hatching through the next few days. What's next? I brought the 1st chick in the house, I have it in a box with a lamp for heat. Food? Water? I heard I have to squeeze the poop out of it, why and how do I do this?. Thanks for any help you all can provide.

2. Lisa0318

Lisa0318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    usually we leave the chicks with mom and she will take care of it , as for food they can stay with out it for the first two days until mom decides when its a good time to feed.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Why did you take the baby from the mommy. It's so much easier for her to then us. Good luck with the others.

4. Speed

Mar 20, 2011
    The Berwicks
    Quote:Momma is still in the main coop, we tried moving her but she just kept going back to the main coop. We did close off her nesting box (it's big enough for 2 full grown chickens) to keep the other hens from laying eggs near her as she was stealing them. I wasn't sure it was the safest place to keep the baby chick. I do have a smaller coop I could put her in but don't have the heat source available like I do in my house. I'd have to put up a small fence so she had her own yard but it wouldn't take more than an hour. Should I put the baby back with Momma?

5. Lisa0318

Lisa0318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    Quote:Momma is still in the main coop, we tried moving her but she just kept going back to the main coop. We did close off her nesting box (it's big enough for 2 full grown chickens) to keep the other hens from laying eggs near her as she was stealing them. I wasn't sure it was the safest place to keep the baby chick. I do have a smaller coop I could put her in but don't have the heat source available like I do in my house. I'd have to put up a small fence so she had her own yard but it wouldn't take more than an hour. Should I put the baby back with Momma?

I think it would be better of with mom.

6. Speed

Mar 20, 2011
    The Berwicks
    I had a smaller coop that houses about 4-5 birds. I was going to get some bantams and let them use that coop but change of plans. I scrubbed it all down with bleach and let it air dry this morning, it didn't take long to dry cause it was so hot out. I threw in some shavings on the floor, hay in the nesting boxes and made a little chicken wire run off the side (for later use). I put Rocky (momma) and her 2 newly hatched chicks ( she hatched another this morning) and her 4 remaining eggs in this coop. Now she is separated from the rest of the flock to raise these little chicks.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Squeeze the poop out of it? Nope. That is for vent sexing. Don't attempt that or you could injure the baby.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Please, do not squeeze the poop out of it!!!!

I'd recommend letting the hen do her job.

9. Speed

Mar 20, 2011
    The Berwicks
    Quote:we let them do what they need to do.

10. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Are all the chicks together? Is the mother taking care of them? Don't try to sqeeze out the poop, you could damage the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by