What's on the menu today?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stargirl, Jun 21, 2011.

1. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    I'm interested to know what treats & snacks your flock are getting, all over the world! Thought it might give us all some ideas of different things to try...

Mine are currently tucking into chopped banana tossed in wheatgerm, and seem very happy. It looks quite nice!

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

WATERMELON! They love it, they eat it all the way down to the greenest part of the rind. My chocolate labrador eats ALL of it, even the rind. My chickens also love Craisins (like raisins but cranberries), leftover grits, oranges, bananas, bread, corn on the cob, and pretty much anything else! [​IMG]

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Pellets, some alfalfa, and melon rinds later in the day after the kids and grand kids are done...[​IMG]

4. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    gave mine some mango for the first time this morning, not overly impressed by it apparently. Have some white button mushrooms i have left over from a recipe the other day, gonna see if they like those any better.

5. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Canteloupe guts and rind, served with the heel of flax and sunflower seeded bread. It's worse than a shark feeding frenzy!

6. jomercer

jomercer Chillin' With My Peeps

Today it will be wilted celery tops, romaine and cherry tomatoes. And maybe a heel of whole wheat bread if it hasn't gone moldy.

7. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    my peeps have had cheese, pellets, few slices of bread and also devoured my sweet pea plants [​IMG]

8. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    I have tried lettuce and cabbage with no success...they don't like corn on the cob or tomatoes either...but they are only 14 weeks, so I guess they are still "teenagers". They LOVE yogurt and cottage cheese...raisins and oats...that's about all I have tried so far.

9. stargirl

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Quote:Oh yes, I share your pain! I left mine down for half an hour - came back, and they were just stems [​IMG] Still, I suppose the eggs will be extra tasty!

10. stargirl

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    The girls are demanding treat, but it's far too early. Sneaky yoghurty pellets in a treat bowl, with a topping of crunchy mealworms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by