What's on this egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sslavo91, Mar 4, 2009.

1. sslavo91

sslavo91 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    This isn't a first egg. These hens (3) have been laying for a couple of months now. I don't have the growers and the layers seperated, so they are all getting half/half for feed. I only found 2 eggs like this, then everything was back to normal again. I was able to "flick" these things off with my fingernail. Hmmm.

[​IMG]

2. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Looks like some kind of insect eggs to me.
    Chris

3. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    from what i have understood those are just calcium deposits, nothing to worry about [​IMG]

4. sslavo91

Oct 18, 2008
    But we're in the dead of winter here in Canada, no insects to be found anywhere.

5. sslavo91

Oct 18, 2008
    Calcium deposits I can deal with! Thanks. [​IMG]

6. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

KyleD. :

from what i have understood those are just calcium deposits, nothing to worry about [​IMG]

I agree [​IMG]

7. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Yep we get those from a couple of girls from time to time.

8. Doll Maker

Doll Maker Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    I've had a few like that. I think they were from some very young hens, the shells on a couple of them were thin, but the egg inside was fine. I still get one every now and then, but haven't seen one in a few weeks now.
    Mine looked just exactly like that and yep you could just flick the little bumps right off. I crushed some of them and they were powdery, so I think it is just excess calcium.
    Someone suggested I add a tablespoon of vinegar to the waterer and I've done that. seems like it did the trick, not sure why.
    I don't think it's anything to worry about, we've eaten them and had no ill effects. [​IMG]
    :) Kaye

9. Doll Maker

Doll Maker Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    Oops, that's a Tablespoonful of Vinegar per gallon of water..sorry!
    [​IMG] Kaye

10. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

That does not look like calcium deposits to. It looks like eggs. Usually you can not just flick the calcium deposits off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by