What's One Accessory That's Made Chicken Life Better?

Pics

Zenzilicious

Chirping
Jun 4, 2022
Bucks County PA
Hey Everyone!

I got a few accessories for my chicks. The xylophone (which they just knock over and sit on), unbreakable mirror, some bird balls, and a small roost with little unbreakable mirrors on the side.

I got some laying mats for the brood boxes, larger, easy-clean/no-mess feeders/waterers for the run outside. I'm trying to think what else could make life a little better for the chicks when they're older. (I have some toys & vegetable ropes ready).

Is there anything that you didn't know you needed, that you're happy you had for your chickens? The closest farm store is 30+ minutes away which isn't too far, but I'd like to be ready for storms or anything else I might not anticipate in the future. I'd rather be prepared!

Also, I was not planning on putting any solar powered lights in the coop or run. I figured I wouldn't want a light shining while i'm trying to sleep- although the chicks sleep with a light on... What is the consensus on lights?

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• Brooder.jpg
    Brooder.jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 151
#1- Heated waterers. Makes it much easier to provide water in the winter.
#2- No spill waterers and feeders.

As for lights, some do but I don't. I let my birds follow the natural cycle with shorter days in the winter. I don't want to treat them like factory farmers. For winter eggs, I preserve the extras in the spring using the water-glassing technique.

Hey Everyone!

I got a few accessories for my chicks. The xylophone (which they just knock over and sit on), unbreakable mirror, some bird balls, and a small roost with little unbreakable mirrors on the side.

I got some laying mats for the brood boxes, larger, easy-clean/no-mess feeders/waterers for the run outside. I'm trying to think what else could make life a little better for the chicks when they're older. (I have some toys & vegetable ropes ready).

Is there anything that you didn't know you needed, that you're happy you had for your chickens? The closest farm store is 30+ minutes away which isn't too far, but I'd like to be ready for storms or anything else I might not anticipate in the future. I'd rather be prepared!

Also, I was not planning on putting any solar powered lights in the coop or run. I figured I wouldn't want a light shining while i'm trying to sleep- although the chicks sleep with a light on... What is the consensus on lights?

Thanks! :)
Those are some spoiled chickies. lol

I have a fully enclosed run and wasn't planning on closing their doors. Should I be closing at night? Is it just for predators, or is it to keep heat in the winter mayber?
You don't want to keep heat in, you don't want heat at all unless you live in the yukon. you want very good ventilation to prevent respiratory issues and frost bite. :]

I have a fully enclosed run and wasn't planning on closing their doors. Should I be closing at night? Is it just for predators, or is it to keep heat in the winter mayber?
I consider it a secondary defense if a predator does get past the first defenses into the run at night when the chickens are most vulnerable.

Back
Top Bottom