Whats safe to plant around the coop? Plants, Herbs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chickiebabyfluff, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Which plants , flowers, and herbs are safe to plant around the coop tht the chickens can eat safely?

2. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    anybody have an idea what is good? aren't certain herbs good for them to eat?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  3. nomoq

nomoq Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Elk Grove CA
    Hoping to hear also...Building our coop right now, and it is right next to our garden boxes.

4. emptynester

emptynester Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    Just an idea, but you could always plant things you would plant in the garden. It would be the chickens' garden [​IMG] Since it's on the other side of the fence they couldn't get to the roots, but they could reach the shoots, leaves, stems, fruit whenever it grows near enough.

5. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    i am wondering what is best tho for chickens like what is healthy for them arene't some plants poisionious like sage and garlic?

6. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Quote:hubby is building our new coop too! Same spot next to garden area.....sure don't wanna put anything in there that would hurt them and its the perfect spot for t he coop!! Hope we hear something good soon!! As its def time to be plantin the garden!!

7. areyoumymother

areyoumymother Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    I have an open air coop with a partial roof and chicken wire on all four sides....

[​IMG]

I have debated on what to plant on the outside to vine up the chicken wire to provide shade.....

some suggestions I received were grape vines and any berries that can be 'vined' up the chicken wire....

But I was also wanting some color so have definitely decided on a bougainvillea for one side and maybe some climbing rose vines, both being chick safe.

8. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Quote:OoOOOO Thts a good idea!!!

9. PuffyChick

PuffyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    We are redoing our chicken coop and so far the plan is to set the run part up on cinder blocks so we can make a sand pit area for easier clean up.

The thing thats got me stumped now is what to plant in the cinder blocks that the chickens can peck on and enjoy but will live through it.

The plants wont be right in the run, more along the outside(in the cinderblock spaces) so only what grows through the wire will get eaten.

So whatcha all think I should plant?
    Keep in mind I can use whatever is planted as well (herbs, flowers) and hopefully in time the plants get big enough to offer shade.

p.s no grape vines or blackberry/raspberry/elderberry. I have those planted elsewhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by