What's She Saying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by navasima, Sep 10, 2011.

1. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    A little backround:

My 4-3wk olds and 1-6 wk old go into the big pen everyday for 1-3 hours. No troubles. BTW - I do sit in the pen and supervise:)
    When I got 2 new pullets (about 10 wks old), they met the littles under my watchful eye. All was just fine. The cutest part was that the chicks started following one pullet and when she layed down in the sun for a nap, they made a circle around her and naped with her (& on her!). She got named Mama. This was about 10 days ago. They've had very nice "playtime" daily since. I got another new pullet 3 days ago who is 3-4 months old and let things settle down a bit before bringing the little ones today. The big girl Agalena - bawked a couple of times, went up to my Plymouth Rock (3wks old - puffed up & stood as tall as she could) gave a token peck on the head and turned her back on all of them. Cool!

The behavior question:
    The chicks' best buddy Mama bird got up from resting - went to the chicks and pecked each one once. Just once at the bottom of the neck - almost between the shoulders - she ate with them a bit and then went back to her rest. About 10 minutes later, she did it again! The chicks were at the opposite end of the pen from her, not being rowdy or anything - no commotion. The 2 other pullets and cockerel were laying on some hay, just snoozing. The chicks complained, but didn't run from her. She did it a third time before I took them back to their "baby coop". No injuries, not really any ruffled feathers even and no vocalizing from Mama.

So - what the heck was she trying to let them know?

Thanks in advance for any insight......

2. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    She's weaning them, gently also it seems. She wants to hang with her age group but is letting them know they're still friends.

3. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Thanks for responding colby318!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by