whats so important about leg bands

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickachickawhat, May 1, 2008.

1. chickachickawhat

chickachickawhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    is it important to put leg bands on your own flock. i thought you only did that with wild animals not or own pets.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I put them on so I can tell which chick came from which breeder and which hatch they came from.

3. chickachickawhat

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    oo and how many do you have katy

4. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    They are just to help you tell them apart. I have 3 BR chicks that I cant tell apart. I think they are gonna get bands. Not a requirement...

5. chickachickawhat

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    ok

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    If you're a hardcore breeder and try to keep breeding records(or health records) you need some form of telling the birds apart. There is usually one breed to a pen, you ever look into a pen of 30+ Cuckoo Marans? They start to look very similar. LOL

It's just for identification and record keeping.

-Kim

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Somewhere between 75 and 100 I think....haven't counted lately. [​IMG]

8. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    Please be careful, though. I know someone who put plastic bands on their young hens, which were supposed to expand, but they only did with some of the birds. If that happens, the leg will grow over it; not pretty.

I don't know how quickly the leg grows into a band, since mine don't have bands, but I'd assume that regular checking as they grow would avoid the problem. Or maybe using another type of band? Perhaps someone knows the answer to that question. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by