1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's that noise I hear??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickencoop1996, May 17, 2011.

1. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    I am laying herein my bed and my brother just woke me up and said something was at my coop ( about 300 feet away from the house and I heard a few things that sounded like chickens getting killed but I don't have any over 4 weeks old and could never make that noise the weirdest thing in happening as I speak it's clicking it sounds like the animal is clicking with it's mouth I'm an avid hunter here in southern nh and have never heard a noise like this in my life what could it be?

2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    [​IMG] ahh! Not another "what the heck was that thing" story!

I hope your chicks are okay! [​IMG]

3. Chickencoop1996

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    If I only had a way to record how weird this clicking is right now!

4. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    I'd grab a gun and a flashlight and go see what's going on.

5. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    i experienced that same noise sometime ago when i went out at night to go check and see if the coop was locked, don't know want it was. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  6. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Could be toe nails/claws on wire, teeth on wire....an owl will make clicking noises as it pops its beak.

7. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

My guess would be an owl. They click their beaks sometimes. Why aren't you going out to see about the chicks? If you're scared, get your brother, or dad or SOMEBODY to go with you..... but go!

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  8. Chickencoop1996

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    I just chased vthe culprits away with my gun two bears. The weird thing is that we could hear them doing stuff outside and they didn't even tamper with the coop or with my rabbits or eat any apples that I have outside. Will have to keep watch tonight.

9. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    LOL, I would rather deal with a Bear or two then an Owl or Hawk! Hopefully you can move the bears on, once they become accustomed to people they are HARD to get rid of!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by