What's the best breed for LARGE-XL eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JediJinx, Jul 25, 2014.

1. JediJinx

JediJinx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Ohio
    I love Dominiques, but their eggs are more mediumish than large. I am considering another breed to keep 1-2 for larger eggs. White eggs would be a plus but not an essential. What is important is they need to be docile because my kids love to handle them, and cold hardy. Suggestions?

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Our Rhode Island Red hens pop out some unbelievably huge eggs![​IMG] They are brown. One thing I have found is when our hens do not get the opportunity to free range....it doesn't matter if I supplement with scraps, laying mash whatever, their eggs are smaller. I think they need bugs for big eggs.[​IMG]

3. JediJinx

Jul 24, 2014
    Ohio
    What size egg is normal for a Wyandotte?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My Wyandottes haven't laid exceptionally large eggs. My red sex links laid eggs so large I couldn't close the carton [​IMG]. But, after about 2 years, the shells got pretty thin no matter what I supplemented with.

5. MumsyII

MumsyII Chillin' With My Peeps

I crossed production red hens with my heritage Rhode Island Red male and the daughters lay eggs that are huge. Can't close the cartons.

Pullet eggs start out small and as the months go by, they get bigger.

My flock free range every day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can't close the large carton on my XXX eggs.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    The best chickens for XL eggs are not standard breeds, but hybrids. The Black and Red Sex Link chickens particularly tend to lay XL eggs, especially the Blacks. Many of their eggs are huge. Sex Link chickens are egg laying machines.

7. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Some standard breeds perform quite well, of course depending on strain. My Catalanas lay at an impressive rate, and the egg size of the hens is x large to jumbo. Ironically, they are one of our most rare breeds.

Historically, Minorca were valued for the size of their eggs and the quantity that they produced. True Minorca are very big birds though. Hatchery Minorca trend more towards leghorn type.

Some strains of Delaware lay very large eggs, and lay them in abundance.

It is a shame that many standard breeds do not perform as they should. Fortunately some are working on this. Unfortunately, not enough.

It is disappointing to have a large breed lay medium sized eggs. Egg size is a point of emphasis with my NHs. Their lay rate is decent, but their egg size needs work.

8. JediJinx

Jul 24, 2014
    Ohio
    Thanks for the replies. As I get used to raising and breeding, I will focus on the utility aspects of my Dominiques, however, for the time being, I'd like to be able to bake and cook with a large egg (not necessarily a jumbo sized). Really want to stick to heritage breeds.

What about Australorps? Java?

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Australorps are a great breed (my personal favorite standard breed). They are extremely hardy (I've had them both in 123 F temp. and -30 F temp.) and in both cases, they did fine. The are also very calm and gentle birds, and for your purposes, they are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. I get 5 large eggs a week from them (occasionally 6). Javas are nice birds, but at an average of a couple of eggs per week, have nowhere near the laying rate of Australorps.

10. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Leghorns and Minorca's lay large white eggs but tend to be flighty and are not really a cuddly chook, they like to be independent. We had some Andalusian hybrid crosses that spat eggs out here there and anywhere . heritage breed wise the buff and barred Plymouth rocks lay nice sized eggs they are a light brown colored egg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by