1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's the best breed for me?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BethM, Apr 18, 2012.

1. BethM

BethM Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    Vermont
    I am looking for a good dual purpose breed with more of an eye towards meat production. Right now we have 9 Cornish Rock Crosses, 6 Colombian Rocks (2 hens 4 roosters) and 5 mixed pullets (we were supposed to have 15 Cornish Rocks and 5 pullets, but there was a mistake). We have had problems with the hens picking on the Cornish Rocks but not the Columbians. The Cornish Rocks will be up to slaughter weight in a couple weeks and we are looking to get another batch of birds that can reach 7lbs or so by the end of summer (or before they start to crow). We would love good foragers since we free range. What breed should I get?

Thanks

Beth

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You could get white rocks straight run for cheap if your looking for a slower growing meat bird, harvest in 16 to 20 weeks. The white rocks are the biggest of Rocks and good layers if you wanted to keep the hens for eggs.

If your looking for a foraging meat bird then go by way of Freedom Ranger or other red meat bird hybrid differing only by name. These are harvested at 12 to 14 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by