Whats the best breed of chicken for egg laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sarahloveschickens, Apr 2, 2009.

1. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Which is the best breed for egg laying? Besides sexlinks, barred rocks, and australorps. Im looking for a different kind of breed, a more oriental breed to say.

Sarah

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Oriental breeds are not suited for egg laying like the heavy breeds, and they tend to only lay small to medium sized eggs.

You could try a Mediterranean breed like the Leghorns, Minorca, Ancona, etc...

3. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:Thanks :] I didnt mean oriental breeds like silkies, or japanese. I meant like good looking, pretty birds. I want to add color to my flock

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Ahh, see now I was thinking you wanted Shamo, Malay, Thai, etc... [​IMG]

The Mediterranean breeds are a colorful bunch. Leghorns come in other colors than just white as well, and even with rose combs instead of the big floppy single combs. [​IMG] The roosters even tend to have longer flowing tails than the heavy breeds.

5. crazy hen quartet

crazy hen quartet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Chandler AZ
    Ok, maybe not oriental, but pretty and amazing layers in my experience:

Cinnamon Queens (aka red sex link). I think they come from a RIR roo and a Silver laced Wyandotte hen. they are the color of honey or caramel with white mixed in. AND.. don't tell them I am counting or I may jinx it - but "honey" and "cc" have both laid an egg a day since we got them mid-February. I kid you not - just like clockwork. An egg each by 7am sharp from each one of them. ?? [​IMG]
    The eggs are a nice pretty dark brown, not as dark as marans but darker than my other brown layers.

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/cinnamonpage.html

http://www.welphatchery.com/EggLayerTypes/red_sexlink.asp

Edited to say I'm such a dope, you said besides sex links. LOL. Ah well... still gotta give props to these gals for their laying abilities.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  6. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Look on Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart - you can see pics and get egg info, along with pretty much anything else you want to know about the different breeds. Maybe that would help you see what's out there?

7. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Buff orpingtons are supposed to be good layers and their golden buff brings a splash of color into my fleet composed of black giants, australorps, and barred rocks. Great personality too. Hope this helped.

vortec

8. thedeacon

thedeacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Midwest
    Just yesterday I was watching my BO scratching in the garden (not yet planted). She was faced away and her puffy butt was just ashaking and a wiggling. Cute little things. Antick sometimes, I am finding out, is just as important as color. [​IMG]

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I got some delawares to add white color to my flock that was all black and brown/red. They are supposed to be really good egg layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by