What's the best breed of chicken for eggs and pets?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ducclelover10, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Ducclelover10

Ducclelover10 Overrun With Chickens

I was wondering what everyones' opinions were on the best breed of chicken that will make a good pet, and at the same time lay a good amount of eggs?

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Hi! I currently have ove r adozen different breeds and I also have them for thier friendliness as well as the fun of the eggs. The friendliest breeds in my flock are my easter eggers and my banty cochins. They snuggle, follow me around, and the banty cochins will fly up to be held.( I will be getting LF cochins in a month) THe easter eggers lay every day or every other day for me..and my cochins are about the same but the banty eggs are sooo small! My orpingtons are also very sweet birds...the dont mind being handled and are not at all flightly. My Lt Brahma is also pretty sweet. I would say the ones that least like to be handled re my wyandottes. Hope this helps. Oh and my barred rock hen lays a nice size egg, lays often and is very docile.

What breeds are you considering?

3. Ducclelover10

I was considering maybe some Americanas or some Barred Rocks.
    Everyone always says that their Bantam Cochins are so sweet, but I have two and one doesn't like to be touched, and the other one bites if she is touched.

4. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Wow-really? Funny I hear everyone say the same thing about how sweet their banty cochins are as well. Did you get yours from a hatchery? when you say you want to get Americanas-are you talking the true rumpless aracaunas or easter eggers? And the barred rocks I have had-out of 4 3 were roos (of course) and they became nippy and i re homed them. However, my hen Debbie lays one of the biggest of my eggs and is super calm/sweet.

5. Ducclelover10

We got one Cochin from a feed store and one from a hatchery.
    I'm talking about Americanas, not Aracuanas or Easter Eggers.I've researched them and it turns out they bare all different breeds!

6. TheCrazyClucker

TheCrazyClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2012
    My Rhode Island Reds are one of the sweetest breeds I have in my flock right now. They are great layers of jumbo-sized light-brown eggs, and they are so nice.
    If you weren't looking for eggs, I'd recommend these breeds (all these breeds are a part of what I have in my flock)- d'Anvers, d'Uccles, Silkies, Polish, and Old English Game. Basically, bantams.

7. Ducclelover10

Yeah, I'm looking for standard sized breeds to go in with Marshmallow after Popcorn and Cocoa die.
    And I'm looking for something that doesn't look like your typical barnyard chicken but still lays good eggs.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  8. RoosterMoose

RoosterMoose Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Missouri Ozarks
    I would have to second your considering the BR. I have quite a few and they are alot of fun. They are larger sized and lay a good amount of large brown eggs. Also make for good eating as well if you feel the need to butcher one.

9. Ducclelover10

We have been considering Barred Rocks, but we don't eat our pets, so we wouldn't butcher one.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Dominique, Orpington, Blue Andalusian, Ameraucanas or EEs, Brahmas. All very sweet breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by