What's the best breed (with pics would be great)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by watsonlane, Sep 26, 2012.

1. watsonlane

watsonlane Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    What's the best breed that lay a lot of eggs? I've got severl barron rocks and they seem to be very tempermental about temperature......i've got 11 layers and have 1-2 eggs a day. I realize the time of year but this has been going on for SEVERAL months, possibly 6. Any ideas to increase production would be great also!

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'm guessing you mean Barred Rocks? They are usually pretty good layers, so I'm wondering if there are other factors involved - such as, age of the hens, health, infections. Could they be hiding their eggs or eating their eggs?

I would say if this were just starting that they were heading into a molt, but if it's been going on for 6 months, there's bound to be something else at play. Have they ever laid well?

3. watsonlane

watsonlane Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    yes that's what I mean lol. Yes they use to lay good, we would get 7-9 eggs a day which is great, 1-2 not so much.......We've had them about a year, no changes, nothing has changed, everyone seems as happy as they did the day they came to their new home......totally at a loss

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by