Whats the best chick starter/grower to feed my baby ducklings? 1 week old *HELP*

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by peeper123, Apr 3, 2012.

1. peeper123

peeper123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Texas
    I've been feeding them Dumor chick starter/grower but ive read its not the best for my babies. Suggestions on good feed? please heelp

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    As long as it's not medicated your fine. Make sure to add some Brewer's yeast to it because ducklings require more of it than chicks

3. peeper123

Apr 2, 2012
    Texas
    Well what feed do you use? I have two mallards that are 1 week old.. I just wanted to know what the best feed is. But thanks for telling me about the yeast! I didn't know about that.[​IMG]

4. BirdyMe

BirdyMe Chillin' With My Peeps

I use Purina Flock Raiser.

I'd never heard of the Brewers Yeast thing either...what does that do for ducklings?

5. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    1 person likes this.
  6. peeper123

Apr 2, 2012
    Texas
    How much brewers yeast do you add to their feed?

7. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Most people just sprinkle it on the ducklings feed for the day. Not exactly sure how much that is when they say sprinkle.

I use about 2 tablespoons per day for my older birds (split up between 11 ducks and two geese now) and I used about 1 tsp per day for the ducklings. One reason I used so little is that I let my ducklings (and now older birds) eat waterfowl feed. The waterfowl feed already has a higher amount of the niacin in it. I was fortunate to find 2 different waterfowl feeds at my feed store. The nice thing about the brewer's yeast is that it has a lot of different nutrients and as long as your not using crazy amounts of it then it is hard to overdose them on it, making it safer then using crushed pills of pure vitamins. However if your using chick feed it will have less niacin then the waterfowl feed and you may want to use more then I did.

Not sure if that really helps you know how much to use or not but I will say that I didn't do it for my first batch and I noticed a difference in all my ducks as soon as I started using it. They seem better on it. My third batch I added it to their feed from the start and I will say they did look better. Standing straighter and running better.

You could try asking it the duck forum. Perhaps other can give a better answer on how much...

8. monkeemakr

monkeemakr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    We use non-medicated turkey starter for ours. It has the extra protein for their muscle and bone development. It's usually a couple dollars more than chick starter.

9. peeper123

Apr 2, 2012
    Texas
    Thanks for the help! I'm thinking im going to buy the purina flock raiser and brewers yeast for now and see how i like it.[​IMG]

10. BirdyMe

BirdyMe Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by