Whats the best chicken for eggs

lovemychicks2much

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
Mercer Co.
Hey everyone i was wondering what is the best chicken to get for eggs to eat my little one can est 3 eggs a day and that can get quit costly by the time you add a weeks supply of just eating and not to mention cooking as well so i need som chics that can help out

I would like to have white eggs due to the fact i have heard brown eggs are richer and i dont know if my kids would eat them

Last edited:
I have two Naked Neck hens and they have layed 2 eggs everyday since they have started laying. They even layed in the Winter!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
It would help if you clarified just whether you wanted white or brown eggs.

For white Leghorns would probably be your best choice...

For brown there is some controversy....

I believe that red and black sex links are the best, but some people like Rocks, Orpingtons, Australorps, RIR's, and MANY more....
It is more on your opinion. Do you want heritage breeds or does it matter?

Quote:
Do you mean that they layed two eggs a day EACH?? totalling 4 eggs?

They each lay one egg everyday, so totaling 2 eggs everyday from the two of them.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Do you mean that they layed two eggs a day EACH?? totalling 4 eggs?

Yep! One in the morning and one in the evening!
big_smile.png

Are you sure someone isnt slipping eggs into your nest? I think it takes 23 hours for a hen to produce an egg.....
If this is true I would say put a HUGE price tag on those hens!!
lol.png

I say: my little frazzle mix breed. This is the tiniest little thing you ever saw. She lays a regular size egg every day without fail. She is an egglaying machine. Her crop gets as big as a small apple and extends past her shoulder, actually close to the size of a tennis ball. I don't think she weighs a pound. She looks terrible. She's loosing feathers and looks more like a turken with her naked neck, head and shoulders.
She eats and lays eggs. Funny little thing. And I was told to cull her
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom