What's the best city duck?

beakkeeper

Songster
13 Years
Jul 20, 2008
It must be small(er), quiet, and preferably friendly and a good egg layer. A shallow kiddie pool would be the only water access. Fenced run and small shelter. Oh, and it must be semi cold hardy, equipped to stand MN winters (and sometimes falls, too brrr)
Thanks!

Moscovies.

They are quite as well as dont really swim as much. They get waterlogged easily. They arent really small, but they should do well.
As for cold, they should do well, most duck are equip to take on snow so... yeah. Dont take my word for the last part though, Ive only ever had 4 moscovies and they were pretty much wild and out

Last edited:
MUSCOVY no other breed will work in the city. Take it from me . I own six "illegals" of this breed on a 1/3acre lot. THey roam my fenced in backyard. My neighbor Jim behind us can see them but nothing else.
Okay, given they are not small. But they are really sweet birds. THey look a bit evil though, which is good because the kids around here are more afraid of the ducks than a pit bull. I even have some old man bring his wife to the ducks sometimes. She cant do much anymore and barely remembers things , but she enjoys feeding ducks.

I clipped mine . The boys will climb up on the back steps and stylishly fall-glide to the ground . The girls are more wild , i got them as grown ups and not used to human contact, so the are clipped too. But that is a 10 min. job twice a year or so. Some folks just get the first joint of the wings removed as day olds and that also takes care of the flying of.

Oh and my little daughter carries them around.She is three and weighs 20-25 pounds , scovies are great family pets

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom