Whats the best feeder for mash

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by burntmuch, Sep 26, 2010.

1. burntmuch

burntmuch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Montrose MI
    Found a feed store locally for all my feed needs. But they make mash for broilers & layer feed. It doesnt work real good in my feeders. which feeder type works best for mash.

2. empireranch

empireranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    I have a similar issue with the mash feed - it doesn't drop down into the moat area of the feeder - I use a metal hanging feeder and it doesn't work well - usually go out a few times a day with a spoon to push it down into the moat area.

3. Magill Ranch

Magill Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2010
    Wamic Oregon
    We produce a mash feed, and I feed it in our brooder with plastic gravity feeders, and it works great. I have a metal gravity feeder for the laying hens. Occasionally I have to just bump the feeder to wiggle the feed a bit, but that is just so it goes down evenly. I brooded almost 9,000 chickens this way, it worked great. Is you feeder adjustable, if so maybe it needs to be adjusted to a bigger setting. Just a thought. I hope this helps.
    Jamie

4. burntmuch

burntmuch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Montrose MI
    My feeders are 3 inch PVC pipes with a tray with a 2 inch lip on the bottom. The mash was hanging up in the pipe. not falling out. What I did was Replced the 3 inch pipe with 4 inch pipe. Problem solved. Works like a champ. Plus with the bigger pipe, I can put more feed in it. Now The feeder last 3 -4 days before I gotta fill it. Now I gotta make one for my meaties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by