What's the Best Gender Ratio for Fertility later?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MrsCountryChick, Jul 7, 2008.

1. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    I mean how many Cockerels to Pullets? ...for a good Roo over Hens ratio for Good Fertility later? [​IMG]

2. n2thestorm5032

n2thestorm5032 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you mean like a chance that the egg may be cockerel/pullet, like a 50/50 chance, I have always wondered that also!

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I've been told 1 roo for every 8-10hens. Gotta kinda play it by ear though since it somewhat depends on the temperament of your roos.

4. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I have 11 hens and one happy roo who stays very busy! He is a stud though. [​IMG] My grandmother told me one roo for every dozen hens. She raised chickens for a living back in the good ole' days. Good luck!

5. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    Yea I was meaning for the gender for a small flock. I too heard mostly people have 1 roo for about 8 hens. I mean I wouldn't wanna have the roo running them ragged. But if I wanted say 10 to 12 hens would 2 roos be too much? I know that fertility is still kinda a hit & miss, & even with 7 or 8 hens the egg fertility can still be medocre. Roos can have their favorites too I've heard of. Plus if you have nice looking roos that hatch why not keep two incase one would say get injured & need to be removed from the flock & given care for awhile to heal. I've never had problems with roos living together when they were raised together in larger flocks or pens. But have heard bad stories of hens being really beaten from roos & just wondered what anyone thought of a small flock ratio. Thanks for info [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by