1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's the best goose for eating.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Bornacentury2L8, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Bornacentury2L8

Bornacentury2L8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Cartersville, Ga.
    My Wife cooks an AMAZING Christmas goose, and I was thinking of raising my own. The problem is that I have 6 kids (16-7 y.o.) and the more they grow, the more they eat. We buy 2 geese for Christmas and there's still no left-overs. Anyone recommend a breeder that sells eggs? Any help would be appreciated.

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    toulouse or african or embden or buff.. I cannot vouch for any other kind..

I currently have african, toulouse and some african I bought that I think are crossed with toulouse..

I have eggs coming out of my ears.

how many do you want?

I do not know which eggs are which because all the geese lay in the same nest..

PM me if you are interested..

........jiminwisc.........

3. KLH2010

KLH2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    I hope I'm not changing the subject too badly but was does goose taste like? I have never had it. I've heard it's greasy...

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Can I get the recipe? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Been trying to convince DH to try goose.... but last year my stepdad brought this HORRIBLY cooked wild goose to Thanksgiving dinner and now he has THAT stuck in his head [​IMG]

Embdens seem to be a very popular breed for meat. But I don't have any geese yet, so I really couldn't say for sure.

5. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:and I heard that ludafisk was delicious.. some things just ain't like you heard..

Goose cooked properly is great. and not greasy..

You have to roast it raised off the bottom of the pan so it is not stewing in its own fat..

6. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I want a couple of geese so bad. But Dang I livein suburbia. I wonder how my neighbors would fee. So far they haven't said any thing about the rabbits, the ducks.... would a goose put it over the edge?

7. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:just tell them it is a wild goose that set down on your yard..

8. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I totally would but the hatcheries have a minimum number and how can I be like "a flock majicaly showed up" [​IMG]

9. dave3877

dave3877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2007
    crockett, texas
    i like embden and tolouse geese, they get big and are tasty. plus the tolouses are prety even keeled as far as temperment goes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by