whats the best incubator to hatch quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ginnboy, Sep 25, 2011.

1. ginnboy

ginnboy Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    What's best incubator to hatch quail. I have a little giant but want something better

2. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm using a cooler bator, seems to be working just fine. And I've seen brinsea mentioned quite often on these boards.

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I used a hova bator, worked great..50% hatch..which I hear is good for buttons.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I like my Brinsea 40 DX. I have hatched Chickens, Coturnix & Bob Whites with great hatch rates. I also recommend the Brinsea Eco Brooder.

5. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I had overall good hatches with my hovabator (I want a sportsman so I can do more though). But the hovabator is cheap and great for smaller ocaisonal hatches and holds 120 quail eggs.

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Any Brinsea Octagon Model... Either The Oct 20 Or Oct 40. For Tabletop Incubator You Will Not Find Anything Better. The Hova Genesis Comes Close, But Brinsea Is Cheaper

7. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  8. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    for some reason I was thinking the brinsea were more pricey. Right now I have a half finnished homemade (using a heavy styrofoam shipping cooler) and an older square style hovabator with a turbo fan kit and a turner (quail & universal racks) and it just needs a new thermostat assembly so I have plenty I just dream of a sportsman. I would advise if you go for the hovabator to get the actual GQF hovabator not the miller mfg. version I know of several people that have these and ussually have poor results.

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:I have read here about them, so many love them...is this model 20 a good price..hoping the link works! It's 99 bucks. http://www.brinsea.com/prod-Octagon_20_ECO_egg_incubator-224.aspx

Wait, it's an Octagon Eco. Is that ok? Same as same as???

Found this too... http://reviews.ebay.com/Brinsea-Octagon-Incubator-Tips_W0QQugidZ10000000010777094

Ok, now I know why it's so cheap... doesn't turn! [​IMG]

YES ANY OCTAGON IS THE SAME... THEY HAVE DIFFERENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE THAT MAKE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ECO AND DELUX, ETC... AND THEY DONT NEED A TURNER (THO THEY MAKE THEM) THE WHOLE UNIT IS AN OCTAGON SHAPED TUBE. SIMPLY ROTATE IT FROM 1 FLAT SPOT TO ANOTHER A FEW TIMES A DAY.

10. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:I have read here about them, so many love them...is this model 20 a good price..hoping the link works! It's 99 bucks. http://www.brinsea.com/prod-Octagon_20_ECO_egg_incubator-224.aspx

Wait, it's an Octagon Eco. Is that ok? Same as same as???

Found this too... http://reviews.ebay.com/Brinsea-Octagon-Incubator-Tips_W0QQugidZ10000000010777094

Ok, now I know why it's so cheap... doesn't turn! [​IMG]

YES ANY OCTAGON IS THE SAME... THEY HAVE DIFFERENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE THAT MAKE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ECO AND DELUX, ETC... AND THEY DONT NEED A TURNER (THO THEY MAKE THEM) THE WHOLE UNIT IS AN OCTAGON SHAPED TUBE. SIMPLY ROTATE IT FROM 1 FLAT SPOT TO ANOTHER A FEW TIMES A DAY.

Ok, another question..or two... and... I will go bigger print here.. [​IMG] DO THEY HATCH IN THE EGG HOLDERS? OR ARE YOU ABLE TO TAKE THE HOLDERS OUT, THEN PUT THEM IN THE BOTTOM. AND, WHEN YOU SAY TURN ON A FLAT SURFACE, ARE YOU TILTING IT WITH SOMETHING UNDERNEATH? THANKS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by